1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

60 watt or 90 watt strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Eliw, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Eliw

Eliw Member

I need some lights. I don’t want to change the look of my truck so I want to get some hide-a-way strobes for the corners. I don’t have a lot of money to throw at this either. (Just did 4 ball joints). Can I get away with a 60 watt or lower strobe or do I need to get the 90 watt. I do not plow professionally but I do plow some random drive ways and its scary doing it without some kind of flashing lights.
  2. Brian469

Brian469 Junior Member

For the price difference, 90 watt hideaways are worth it.
  3. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I had, 60 watt strobes for many years. I believe the 90 watt will be brighter overall. I just bought Vertex LED's for my new truck, due to the lack of room in my reverse light for the strobe, i did not want it to melt the lens.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

60 will work well. very bright, but for 15 dollars more you can get a 6 head 90 watt whelen system for 205 on ebay with free shipping. Type in whelen 90 watt hideaways and it should come up.. work perfect. good luck...
  5. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

90 watt all the way unless you get the led HAW's
  7. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

$199 at sirennet
  8. I switched from a strobe to an LED beacon. Love getting home and closing my eyes and not seeing flashes for 2 more hours. The LED patterns can be programed and slowed down a bit. Wire in a momentary ground switch and you can change patterns from the cab. It also uses a fraction of the power and the LED's should last for lifetime. And I am not alone in my opinion that this thing will get your attention better than strobes and also will not blind oncoming traffic. I'm sold...

Star Warning Systems SWS25000

View attachment 48343
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

90W are VERY bright. At night I can only run my fronts for about an hour tops, after that the flash is to much for me stand if I'm plowing unlit lots.:dizzy:

FYI...I run clear/white in front and amber in the rear.
  10. Not too hidden though....
  11. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Don't know how much those run, but I'd rather have one from Whelen or 911EP.
  12. $225 for us on the west coast.
  13. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

If you are only going to run 4 strobes, a 60 watt is ok. If you are going to run six strobes, a 90 watt is a must.

Good Luck.
  14. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

I would definitely go for the 90 watt kit. There's nothing worse than wimpy hide-aways.
  15. Eliw

Eliw Member

What’s the deal with the vertex LED's. How are they better or worse? I really only need my tail lights flashing. I think the plow and plow lights are warning enough. I’m more worried about the back end when backing into the road. The vertex's are sold individual so I could save some money. What’s the difference between these and the strobes?
  16. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

LEDs do not give off heat like the strobes do, meaning you can install them in much smaller housings without fear of melting the plastic. Also, with the Vertex there is no power supply to mount, all you have to do is wire then up to a switch and you're good to go.

The Vertex is the only hid-away LED I would even consider installing in my own vehicles.
  17. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

Does anyone know anything about sound off power supplies and strobes? I was thinking about buying a set and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them
  18. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

19. Eliw

Eliw Member

Ok so I have decided to go with the vertex LED’s. My next question is should I get them in the same color of the tail lights or get white?
  20. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

get them the same color as the lense that they are behind if you are putting them in the reverse the your color of choice, in the brake then red.

anytime you put a while light behind a colored lens you will loose light, much less so when the light is the same color as the lens.