1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

60 tons of wet salt, some advise please

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Akost15, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Akost15

Akost15 Junior Member
    from PA

Have three bins and got a new shipment to each from a new vendor (cheaper price, better stuff, blah blah blah). Went out and inspected delivery and all three were soaking wet brown salt. Grabbed it with my hand and squeezed it and can get some water dripping through my fingers almost. Now this is not magic salt and wasn't treated with it. Covered it up and our first storm loaded up three v boxes to go out with two scoops trickled in each. 1 worked for 5 mins, 1 worked for 10 mins and the other had a jam right away. Using two Swenson big boys and two salt doggs (only loaded one up on this storm). Needless to say dug all three out and had to spray out clean. We got screwed... So what can we do to help pull the moisture out of it? a Brine, some Calcium Chloride, Magic Salt Spray, fertilizer? I am I'm the north east and some help would greatly be appreciated.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How about mixing in some dry stuff? Or, keep dry stuff separate and mix together when loading each scoop. Half scoop dry...half scoop wet...then load that scoop. This is just a suggestion, I don't know if it would work or not. Maybe try a 1 time run?
  3. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Mix rice in with it, dries out your cell phone.
    Should work the same right? :laughing:

On a serious note though why didn't you just refuse the shipment?
    Only other way I can think of is to mix in dry stuff and see if your spreader can handle it, or take off the top of the pile where it may be drier?
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Akost15

Akost15 Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks and that's what I was going to do but each bin is set up with 20 tons maxed out and in all different locations. Would have to get a 10 ton deliver to each and store right bedside the bin. Would be close to close to cars that always love to sit right beside me.
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Maybe leave it uncovered between precipt? Dry it out.
  6. procut

procut Senior Member

I got some that was wet one time. It may not have been as soaking wet as what you're describing, but had moisture in it. We got it in probably September / October, I keep it inside a building and it eventually did dry out by the snow season. I would keep turning the piles with a loader, might help some.
  7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

When we as contractors do not deliver we are held accountable. Hold your salt supplier accountable, have him pick it up.
  8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Agree with this. Even dry thebrown salt is less effective than the white. We were applying three times more salt per app using brown.......
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Agreed...Myself or my #1 guy is present each time a load is dropped....If there is an issue, its to be addressed immediately. We've refused a load before...fortunately for the supplier, he didn't get it dumped on the ground.
  10. Akost15

Akost15 Junior Member
    from PA

Agree 100% on being held accountable. And shouldn't have paid for the load before inspecting it and that's a lesson I have learned yet again on shotty equipment and materials... Trying to get them to take it back now and got the "Let me talk to so and so and we will get back to you" which was two days ago... Thx for the advise and hopefully I can get rid of this junk!
  11. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Have your rep stop by and inspect the product. You must have one.
  12. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Just a thought. Could you lay perforated drain tile on the ground next to the pile, move existing pile on top of tile about 3ft thick, lay more tile, repeat til all is moved. Leave the ends of the tile exposed. Cover the pile with a tarp and throw a salamander under it nonstop for a few days or even a week. Gotta think it would be about the best option and tile is cheap.
  13. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Not sure of the exact set up but calcium chloride will pull moisture out of the air. Maybe using a few 5gallon buckets you can dig a few halfway into the pile to keep them up right, put some calcium in the bucket, and tarp it allowing air flow over the buckets. You would be able to pull out the buckets after a bit, turn the pile, and set up fresh calcium to pull out more moisture. Hope that helps.