1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 yd poly salt dog ???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alfman, Nov 25, 2014.

1. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I'm looking for another gas 10' stainless v box, decided at the last minute to put another truck together. I can't find a new one anywhere and buyers is 30-45 days out on production.
    My local dealer has a 6 yard salt dog yard poly electric unit that he will make me a sweet deal on.
    My question is to guys who have run both, am I going to be disappointed. I like the idea of being able to control the auger and spinner seperately but I'm old school and always had gas motors and drag chains.
    Are these units slower to spread? How is the spreading width? Any input is appreciated!
  2. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Follow - Just bought one myself.
  3. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

May sway you..

Well I ordered a buyers stainless 7-8 yard v-box 2 months ago and still haven't received it. I would shy away from any ordering from them for this season unless your OK with a February delivery. Still trying to see what this weeks excuse till be.

I am also curious how the larger plastic ones work...
  4. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

I use and gas v-box, hyd v-box and and electric hitch mount. I know people who have had good luck with the 1 1/2 & 2 yd Buyers. I would say, as with any salter, it's what salt you put in there. The cleaner and drier, the better it's going to perform. You throw chunks of frozen salt and leave it in there outside over night, you're asking for trouble with any salter you buy
  5. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

The Salt Dogg spreaders are AWESOME !!! I have made a ton of money off of mine, and NO problems !!!
  6. alfman

alfman Junior Member

My biggest concern is, do these poly/electric units have the power to spread like my gas boxes. Back in the day when I first started with a electric Reese hitch unit I remember having to double pass to get good coverage.
    That blows on small lot, but I can't imagine having to double pass to get good coverage on a 3 ton drop.
    Anybody have a 6 yarder that can chime in?
  7. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Any updates?
  8. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I ended up not going poly/electric. The 6yd was a bit big for the truck ( couldn't fill it to capacity), plus I still didn't want to take a crapshoot on something I depend on so heavily for.

Found a new stainless 4.5 yd. Meyer (Swenson) for the same price as the poly unit. Its a super nice spreader. Lots of neat stuff on this compared to my older boxes. Honda motor with wireless remote, on the front it doesn't have take-up bearings but an adjustable slide with poly rollers, a swing up chute, and rear fork pockets. It's very well built.

STARSHIP Member

We picked up our 4 1/2 yd SS Swensen a couple weeks ago (just like your Meyer), and recent;y made a run with it and love it. We have the Briggs, verses the Honda, but that was all that was available at the time. The wireless scares me a little bit, but the flip up shoot is great. It sure makes unloading so much easier, and will eliminate a lot of skids when it comes time for storing it.

If you are interested in putting a prewet on it, we used one of the bolts that holds the black fork pocket to attach an "L" bracket to get a nozzle inside the chute area. It is a little off center, due to the location of the spinner shaft inside, but so far it seems to do a pretty good job. Plus, the extra liquids that fall are directed to the spinner by all of the baffles inside, so that ends up getting distributed with the salt. The angle of it also keeps the spray from getting on the drag chain.