1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 week old plow will not move!

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by bjohnson97, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bjohnson97

bjohnson97 Junior Member

I am totally new to plows. I just bought a 7 1/2 conventional plow about 6 weeks ago. I only use it for my lane, and my other families lanes on the family farm. Last night while I was plowing my last lane I went to move my plow left and right and all the remote does is click repeatedly like there is a bad connection. I check all of the connections that I can see. Un did them and put them back and no change. So I then tried to raise the plow and the same thing click click click click....you get the idea. Is there something simple that I am missing here. My dealer is about a 40 minute drive away and I can't get there easily with a plow that will not go up. I ended up having to take the plow off of the truck and leave it in my grandpas driveway. Totally frustrated!!!

Brad Johnson
    Ottawa, Illinois

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd pull the controller apart and see if a wire came off. I have no idea, sorry I can't be more help
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The the solenoid clicks? I would guess it has to be a loose wire. be sure to check ground wires really well. I would also guess that the plow itself is just fine so no need to go get it just to work on it. Double and tripple check all wires.

Was this purchased new? If you do have to take it to the dealer go hook up to the plow and push into a snow bank until the plow is raised. Hook a chain from the A-Frame new the moldboard to a spot up by the pump and see if you can "short chain" it.
  4. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

The dealer probably doesn't need the plow on, take it back, check the controller, solenoid under the hood and have him check all your connections and ground wires. Then he can just hook up another plow and check it from there, sounds like an easy fix.
  5. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I had a simmilar thing happen a couple weeks ago. When I would try to move the plow I would just hear a click and nothing would move. It took me awhile to figure out because I have had very few problems (lack of sleep didn't help either). The power cable came undone and the plow-truck plug. Pluged it back in and it worked fine.
  6. bjohnson97

bjohnson97 Junior Member

Problem solved

I did purchase the plow new and had it installed at the dealer. I emailed hiniker last night and actually got a phone call from them this morning. I did go get the plow, because the dealer said they would prefer it, and raised it with a heavy duty ratchet strap. Drove the 40 miles to the dealer and within 10 minutes they had the problem solved and me back on the road. The ground on the engine was not making good contact. They said it had something to do with the bolt that Chevy had used on the ground location. I don't know. All I know is that I am back on the road and ready if the storm comes our way Monday! Thank you all for your input to solve my problem!

7. Daveyo

Daveyo Member
    from 6

A ground wire will do it but thats sounds like he wanted to cover his "assests" on that excuse although Chevy could put an extra terminal on the battery for easy grounding, glad you got it going.