1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 volt forklift HELP.....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dmontgomery, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a fork lift that is an old 6 volt system that I have to always put on the charger for 5-10 minutes to start it..... It always starts and runs well....... but I am trying to sell it and it seems to scare people away.... I have new battery, alternator is OK, and I have a quick disconnect for the positive terminal.....so there is nothing draining the system...

I bought a second battery to try but that didn't change anything.......

THanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check and clean all the connections? All the cables in good shape? The generator putting out over 6 volts when it's running? Might need the starter rebuilt. A good automotive component rebuild shop should be able to do it. One that rebuilds starters and alternators.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

everything was fine.....I got some help on lawnsite.....and learned the using 8 volt batteries was a solution to this common 6 volt system issue....... anyway that fxied it and I sold the unit....