1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 speeds manual and plowing--your thoughts

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys:

I was curious how many here plow w/a manual and how you like it. Also, I read that Ford's tranny has a "granny gear" that's really low and would pull a house off it's foundation.

Would you use that gear to start out plowing with? Just curious.

Thanks for any input.

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i drive an 05 6.0 6 speed dually. i've got a 4.30 gear. this will be my first year plowing with it, but already i think i'll like it more because i'm gonna put a mounting bracket on the shifter with the remote in it, so it will be like an extension of the shifter.
  3. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I actually like plowing with a manual transmission. Especially the Ford and Dodge trannies because of their low-low first gear. Can get the RPMs in a sweet spot for fuel economy and truck along all day.

Your leg WILL get tired though. If you don't normally drive a manual every day then you'll be so cramped up it isn't funny. Plus side is that if you mount your plow controller on your shifter....you can leave your right hand where it is and not have to keep lifting it up.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i plow with a manual, and its no biggie, i prefer it over the auto myself, i have a joystick controller mounted on the door so i use my left hand for steering and plow control, and my right hand for shifting, it works out great.

and yeah your left leg will be cramped up bad by the end of the night.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You the search function and find posts on manual trans plowing. There are a few posts on it. This can save you from burning up the clutch early in it's life.
    The big thing is the try not to slip the clutch against a load or a lot. It tends to over heat the clutch disk up too much.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i just got rid of my standard truck. problem is. one hand on wheel. one on gear shifter. i have no more hands to hold cigarette and coffee. :) and thats when im NOT trying to juggle the plow too. just too busy. busy , busy busy. this is my first automatic truck i ever had that i have now. im happy as hell. i like that joystick contoller gold pro. i have the little annoying toggle switch that is mounted annoying on the bottom left of my dash so i knock it off the dash with my knee getting in and out of the truck.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Never used a standard plowing, but if it what your been used to I guess it's ok. Just seams like more work and more things to think about ect etc when your already tired as hell.
    I would stick with automatic. With 4 low and a auto you'll have all the low gearing you need.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Aotu is the only way to go for me. Too many driveways that would kill you to plow with the manual. If you are just doing big parking lots then a manual would be ok.