1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 Speed Dyna-Torque

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jon Geer, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Anybody drive or experience this transmission yet???

What is your feedback????

Do you like it??

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am assuming that you are talking about the 6L90E Auto that comes with the 6.0 gas in the new 3/4 tons.

That is what I have in mine and I like it overall. The double overdrive gears are great. It does have a couple of quirks. The downshift/engine braking is quite cool and effective, but it does take some getting used to. It does have an annoying habit of downshifting hard if you re-engage cruise control and are too far below the cruise setting. It seems like it will drop from top 6th (top od) to 4th (direct) if you hit resume at 10 mph below the cruise setting. At which point the truck takes off like a rocket... I learned on my trip to PA this past weekend to get back up to speed (within a couple of mph) manually and then hit the cruise.

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Exactly what I am talking about. I am sure I will get used to it. Anyone else experience the new trans?:confused:

4. gorman

gorman Junior Member

6 speed

i have that trans, i noticed a slight delay when switching from drive to reverse. makes it hard to rock when stuck

5. captfudd

captfudd Member

I have had mine since April and no complaints awesome to tow with cant wait to plow with it!

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I thought this tranny only came on the 6.0 liter, Dmax still has the allison.... Jon, are your trucks not both d-max's... or, why did you grab the 6.0 over the d-max... Other then the 10K price tag!

7. nisntruckin1365

nisntruckin1365 Junior Member

i noticed the same as all the others except i have a noise sounds almost like a blow off valve on a turbo rice rocket car. i haven't gotten to take it in yet but other then that I LOVE IT. i actually use manual mode more then i thought i would.

8. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

got it in my 07. Only 1300 miles on it so far. Shifts hard when cold and at real low RPM's to help w/ mileage which can be annoying when pulling a trailer if you don't switch to tow/haul mode. The downshifting mode is neat. Smells a little funky still when pulling hard, but I think that's the excess paint or whatever burning of the case. If not, oh well has a 5year/100k warranty on it!

9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

how are the 6 speeds/6.0 gassers doing on fuel mileage city/highway? There might be one in my future if the .80 cent difference in gas and diesel keeps up.

10. gorman

gorman Junior Member

tranny

i have the 6speed and the 6.0 and have noticed the smell too. the tow mode really does work good. i love it:dizzy:

11. gorman

gorman Junior Member

gas

the 6speed 6.0 burns alot of gas. i'm getting about 6 miles to the gallon. that seems bad, what is everybody else getting in gas milage? normaly i get 12 miles to the gallon.

12. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

6 mpgs dont sound right

13. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

13mpg, mix of around town and 80mph highway runs when it was brand new. Should be better now, but I don't check it.

14. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I have the new allison 6 speed. This tranny also takes some getting used to. Reverse is very low! Im still trying to get comfortable plowing with it, i was plowing in manual for this storm we just had, taping up from 1st to 2nd as needed?