1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 speed auto

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Italiano67, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I just a bought a 2009 2500Hd and I have to say the 6 speed auto is a lot different than my 07 classic 4 speed auto. It seems to be constantly switching gears and you have to mean business with the throttle before it gets the hint that you want to actually speed up. Not sure how the new tranny will be plowing but would like everyones input. Also the dash plastic is rather cheaply made and is easily scratched.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 6L90's are a much different trans than the older 4L80E's and 4L85E's that you're used to in that they're always trying to maximize fuel economy with their shifting strategies and does take some getting used to. Not normally an issue in actual plowing conditions for the most part though, since speeds are low and runs are generally short. And when they're not thats what the manual gear positions are for. :drinkup:

3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i agree about the tranny. Either gotta manual shift sometimes when towing a heavy load, or punch the gas good.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i dont like it i definately shifts a lot....feels weak..probably not