1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6' sander in a 8' bed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ksland, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Anyone see a problem with putting a 6' 3/4 yd Sno-way sander in the back of a 05 GMC 2500HD 8' bed?

I cant imagine the center of the weight being off with only 3/4 yd would be a problem. Probably just be great ballast for the plow on the front.

Anything I am missing here?

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Just make sure it can't slide forward at all.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Oh, and I thought I would add.... I want to put this in my dump insert so I don't have to remove it. The payload is 3300, The insert weighs 750, sander 650, 3/4 yd sand 2000. That is 3400 fully loaded. GVW on the truck is 9200

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Shouldn't be much of a problem if you remember that the center of the weight is further back than it would be with a 8'er. I'd suggest putting a couple of straps over it to hold it down. The only thing I can see is with those 1" corner straps. The front ones will need to be extended to reach the corner of the pickup bed. I really don't see it as too much weight with a 3/4 yd sander. I've seen a two yard sander on a 2500 and it did fine.

Now putting an 8' Vbox on a 6 3/4' bed - that would be a different story - but I've heard of it being done:eek: :eek: .

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Mounted up...

Well, I think it looks silly, but it seems okay. I will keep you posted on how well it works.

FYI... Sno-way had a batch of sanders that were wired incorrectly, including this one. They wired the kill wire to the alternator on the sander engine which doesn't allow it to shut off, and blows the alternator. After 30 mi9nutes with tech support and all day playing around with it, It is all straightened out now.

The sander was bought cash and carry, had it been installed the dealer would have fixed it.

Their support was great though, I left a message each call and they returned my call within 15 minutes.

struck 1.jpg

6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Another shot

can you tell I am bored?

struck 9.jpg

7. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Last one!!!!!!

struck 10.jpg

8. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

How much did that one cost?

9. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Not sure, I traded it for my new Speedcaster 2 tailgate model, the person I got it from bought it new and never used it yet.

I can see me trading up again to a full Vbox. Anyone need a 6' model that has an 8'?

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

It doesn't look silly, it gives you room in the back to store a few shovels, a couple of bags of magic melt for walks, whatever.

11. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

No?

Take a look from this angle... I think it looks silly. LOL:p

trucksander.jpg

12. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I don't think it looks silly. Looks fine to me, and most people unless there really into plowing won't even notice.

13. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Looks good:rolleyes: Just make sure you cover your load[don't listen to people when they tell you ah don't worry about it,make sure you have there # so they can come over at 3am in the middle of a blizzard and brake up the block in your sander] and make a flap so your bumper doen't rot off.And don't use mason sand its to wet and fine it will bridge in that small sander track.We had about 5inches here today plowed off everything 3 times.

14. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Echovalley....

Thanks for the input....

Cool you got some pushes in, did you use the Speedcaster 2? Keep me (us) posted on its performance.

BTW you run a nice operation up there, very organized and clean. Good luck in the future.

15. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Thats for the complement.No I didn't use it today[I didn't want to get my diesel dirty LOL :D ]I am going to run it for the am salting.I just finished making a rubber flap and putting on the plow marker on the back as well as mounting the controller.

16. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

put a toolbox infront of it and the bed wont look "empty" anymore :)

17. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Premier..

No, Toolbox won't fly, its a dump body in there....

Well... maybe.:confused:

18. I am looking into a shortbox dodge and may be looking for a 6 foot model. It's pretty far away but I figured I'd let ya know, just incase my deal works out. This picture is from last year after the new paint. The unit is a henderson and is 2 years old. only 8 loads of salt ran through it.

newspreader.JPG