1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6" plus in central WI

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bison1973, Oct 22, 2002.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

We got 6+" here in central WISCONSIN yesterday. I'm new to plowing and got to use my new 8' Sno-Way HT for the first time. This is my first year plowing and yesterday sure was fun. I don't have that many accounts but it's a start. I've found out it's hard to get new accounts in this area. And for the guys running pick-ups, like myself, the rates for small commercial lots aren't really that high. Not even close to the .03 cents per sq. ft. I saw mentioned somewhere else on this board. We got some early snow but I just don't see the prices that some of you talk about. I know each area is different; but here we don't even seem to be in the ballpark. Comments...
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The first piece of advise I’d give is to forget about what everybody else says you should be making. You’re right, each area is different. Even in the same area, different plowers are different. For instance, in my area I know a couple of guys used to have about 60 driveways each. Each driveway would take about 15-20 minutes each ramming as fast as they could. The trouble was, they were doing them so cheap that they didn’t allow for repairing equipment. One is now dead and the other is out of business because (said directly from him to me) "I’m afraid of tearing my truck up. It’s the one I depend on to get to work". He used to do my driveway for $15. I wouldn’t have done it for less than $30. My first year, I had no accounts and just did whatever came up. The second year (last year) I had almost as many accounts as I wanted. This year (3rd) I’ve got room for maybe two more average drives. The big one I got a couple days ago was due to reputation for taking care of the customer, having the equipment they wanted (sander) and the ability to demonstrate some knowledge of the field. They told me they would be taking bids and I’m sure there are cheaper. I also know that one of the largest construction companies around here recommended me to them in the first place.

First, one way would be to figure out what you need to make hourly that will allow you to plan for repairs, plan to replace your equipment and make a profit. Then learn to judge how long it will take to plow an average snowfall from a given area. Apply hourly rate for plowing. Same principle applies to snowblowing, sanding/salting etc (allowing for cost of materials). Don’t worry about getting the pricing exactly right. If you’re too high, you won’t get any work, too low and you’ll get everthing you go after. Spend this winter getting experience. Stay away from commercial and don’t commit to agreements more than this winter. Somewhere down the road, you might want to offer seasonal contracts.

Get commercial vehicle and general liability insurance.

Good luck and enjoy. Send some of that snow this way.
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Glad to see someone is doing some plowing:D . Its still a little too warm to snow here. Suppose to be a chance tonight but the ground is too warm for it to sitck.
    We have the same problem here too. The rates are pretty low, everyone has a plow on their trucks, and they will work for peanuts.
    Property managers wont even discuss ice controll. They can have their cashiers or others throw a little ice melter near the doors. Dont really care too much about the lot as long as there is no snow.
    Have fun plowing and send some south,:waving:
    Mark K
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Snow on the mountain,,, six weeks more

Around here it's pretty common to get snow in the valley just about six weeks after the first snow shows on "The Mountain" (Mt. Mansfield, 4400+' ASL). When the early fog burned off this morning the mountain was white a long ways down. Had a few very fine flurries here yesterday for a few minutes. I'm thinking (hoping) we'll be pushing by second week in December, with maybe a few salt apps before then
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2002

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

my area {SHAWANO} got 7" yesterday, heavy wet stuff most is gone already. new uedge on v plow this year .