1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6" plow. who makes em?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 22, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

well, i would like to look at some 6ft plows. who makes em, and what can i expect to pay. only reason being is that the most driveways im plowing this season are pretty small, and i dont want to rip the sod up with a 7.5. any help would be greatly appericated.

2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Take a look at the BLIZZARD model 680LT, this might be what your looking for.

www.blizzardplows.com

Hope this helped.

Jon

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If i can remember correctly you have an F-150. Iam not trying to make you do anything that you don't want to its entirely up to you. However a 6 foot plow would be too small for the F-150 especially if you went with the snoway. Your up higher in the F-150 then you are in say an S-10 (the kind of vehicle that a 6' plow would go on) therefore you MAY have a hard time seeing your plow in front of you plus your going to get all kinds of snow flying at you over the low moldboard, which can be a pain. I can see what you mean about the small drives i have a few real small ones that i do with a 7'6". Fact is you can "tear up the sod" with any plow so a 6' plow would not help you in that area. I suggest a good compromise would be the blizzard 720 this plow is in the 350 LB range and is 7'2" wide so it will be easier in small drives. Moldboard is also about 23" high where as the snoway is shorter.

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

yees yes. thank you. as im sure you guys can tell, i know next to nothing about plows. anyway, i dont see the blizzard 720 on their site.... also, any idea on how much they run $ wise?

thanks in advandce

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

On their site go to products, strait blades, specifications and you will see a picture of one on a ford ranger. The 720 actually weighs 370 LBS i was wrong when i said 350. As far as price goes: my best guess would be around $3400 installed :cry: ... they are expensive. The best way to get a price is to call or stop by some local snowplow dealers. You can find these dealers by going to the websites of the plow companies and clicking on dealer locator. You could also go for a used plow if you can find a private seller or a dealer that sells used plows. If you go used: It is very hard to find a blizzard used IMO, no you don't need a blizzard 720 i was just recommending it as a good compromise between a 6 and a 7'6". I think you will have a lot better luck finding a used fisher/western/meyer 7'5". Its harder to find small plows used. Used plows run from about $800-$2500. The problem is you need to find the proper mount for your truck unless the used plow you find came off another 95 (did you say it was?) F-150. truckside mounts usually run around 200-400 dollars. This is also assuming the person selling the plow has all the wiring for the truck as well.

"as you guys can tell i know nothing about plows"

I would not say you know nothing, you alredy have some idea as i can see. You have to start somewhere. Iam 17, and i have plowed for 2 seasons now. Just about 3 years ago i knew nothing about plows, then I started reading this site, i read it for about 4 months before i got my truck (had not become a member yet) so i knew a little about what to get for a plow. Best advice i can give you is talk to people who you know that plow, my friends father has always plowed and when i became interested in plows I talked his ears off getting advice and info from him, also rode along with him a few times on his route. Second become addicted to PLOWSITE and read everything you can, many professionals out there who can help you there is soooooooo much experience between all of the people on this site. I know what its like to be young and trying to plow, money is a huge object you need lots to get started but we don't always have lots of it. I would keep it small the first year like 10-20 drives, if you don't get liability insurence (which id recommend though it is costly, you can do with out it) be very careful and even then you can screw something up. Know the areas that you plow in and be very careful not to damage anything.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  7. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Thought I would chime in real quick for snoway.. the 6 ft snoway, there are actuelly two of them.. one is the 18" small blade for real small trucks. the other is a 24" blade for sidewalk use. They also offer in the Mt series (24" High) a 6' 8" blade and a 7' 6" blade.. With these moldboards being 24 inches high and close to the same features as blizzard includnig the weight issue. Also if your looking for a smaller blade and Western happens to be in teh picture, at only about 490lbs or so, which is still light for a halfton pickup, they make the LSX witch is 7'2" wide and 25" high moldboard will give you a a bit more height.. also to think about, snoway curve there plows a little more than the competition so that it rolls just a little more. effeclty making a 24 inch comparable to a 25 inch, and I will say from experience that it does a good job at that... so long as we are talking 6 inches or less, then they all kinda of push the same. :waving: so goodluck and remember lots of options. find the one that fits you the best, and more importantly is finding a dealer of course you can trust as always!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Get yourself a little s-10, ranger, or wrangler and get a blizzard 680, They work awesome for small driveways, My dad has one for his s10 and does all may hard to get at driveways and small parking lots.
    Dave :waving: