1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 pin Remote & solenoid problems? NO POWER!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by AEI, Nov 3, 2009.

1. AEI

AEI Member

Q:
    Does anyone know on the 6 pin hand held remote if there is suspose to be power on all 6 pins when when the IGN is on or off?

Trying to figure out why my plow is not working. Was wondering if I have a bad remote would that cause no power to the plow motor? I checked with a test light at the plow motor hookup and zero power. I have power on all 3 posts out of 4 on the new solenoid. Maybe a grounding issue? I'm lost here:-(

Q:
    On the 2 small posts or any post for that matter does it matter what wires go where? Of course not the small wire on the big posts but just wondering. I looked at the PDF On Western sites and cant seem to tell if there is a certain post for a certain wire.

Anyone tell me what wires go where on the solenoid ? I do have a 2000 F250 with a older Unimount.

I'm taking off today trying to get this all working. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Makes no difference which small wires go on which small stud as long as the orange/black(s) are on one and the brown/red is on the other.

If you already have the manual there's a very good control test procedure in it on page 44. Follow it to diagnose a possible defective controller.

3. AEI

AEI Member

Thanks B&B Going to check that out now. One of the small wires loops off and also runs to the Battery + side right?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There should be an orange/black coming off one of the small terminals (with also an orange/black) but it should go to the NEGATIVE battery terminal, not the positive side. Its the wire that grounds the entire plow harness. Sounds like you may have it on the pos terminal by mistake.

There should be no 12V wires for the plow on the positive side of the battery except your large cable that powers the underhood solenoid. Nothing else.

5. AEI

AEI Member

Yep.. I have that small looped(orange and black) wire on the + side. Son of a gun! Gotta run back out there now. :dizzy:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009