1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

.6 mile long driveway

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by BGehl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. BGehl

BGehl Member

Hey guys,

I have a small scale residential operation, with mostly standard suburban drives. In this area I have found $300 for the season to be a very fair rate.

I had a chance to bid on a much larger driveway and I got it. Now i am trying to figure out if I was fair to them and myself.

The driveway is 6/10 of a mile then a parking area that is about 75 by 75 feet. There is also another short 1/10 of a mile spur to a barn/shop.

I am going to do one pass on the way in, clear the parking area and spur, and then one pass on the way out. I have a 7.5 western on a F250. No salt or shoveling. I am expecting about 20 plows for the year.

I got it for $2000. So at 20 plows, it would be $100 a plow. Since I have not done a driveway of this size, i not sure how long it would take. Any guesses? I dont expect it to take me more than an hour, so it think i am at more than $100/hour.

Does all this sound right? Am i missing anything? Let me know if you need any more info.
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess it will be closer to 45 minutes than an hour. I think you did good.
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yeah sounds like a good deal for both parties
  4. BGehl

BGehl Member

Thanks to both of you.
  5. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I suspect you will have problems running one pass in and one pass out with a 7.5' blade. Keep in mind that fully angled, your trail off will barely clear your tires. Plus, (I don't know how much snow you typically get) as the season progresses, the banks to the side of the drive will build up, thus you won't be able to throw the snow as far. The drive will be very narrow, very quickly. Consider how the state/county/muni plows the roads. One pass each way WITH a wing plow PLUS they come back every few storms and cut the banks down with a raised wing plow. If I were in your situation, I would make at least two passes each direction and keep that drive as wide as possible to start.
  6. BGehl

BGehl Member

That might be the best bit of constructive advice i have gotten on this board. Thanks.
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's good advice. While we are giving advice, I would check that driveway closely BEFORE it snows for anything sticking up out of the drive you could catch your plow on. As said, you are gonna need to push that stuff out as far as you can, and on .6 miles you can get some decent speed to throw it out a good ways. You just don't wanna be going 20 when your blade catches on something!
  8. BGehl

BGehl Member

It is a brand new drive, just paved a month and a half ago, so there should not be too much to cause a problem. But when i stake it tomorrow, i will keep an eye open for trouble.
  9. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

While it's still early in the season, see if you can find somebody with a wing who will agree to widen it out for you as needed during the winter. A driveway that long will be a real pain to push back one bucket full at a time with a loader.
  10. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Good Advice! I did the same methods when i was plowing in westchester NY as a kid, keeping the drive as wide as possible and cutting the banks back is key.
    $100 bucks a push would be good money, every 3-4"'s