1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 lug vs 8 lug plow fitment ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I keep seeing used plows for 90s GMs that say for 8 lug trucks or for 6 lug trucks. I'm talking about Speedcast conventionals. Can someone tell me what the difference is? I found an 8 foot conventional and the guy says it will fit my 94 8 lug, but its on a 93 6 lug. I cant see any difference between the two, but why else would everyone specify if it's 8 lug or not? Posted this over in Fisher as well.
    Thanks

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Generally speaking (GENERALLY), 8 lug trucks are 3/4 ton or heavier duty, 6 lugs are half ton trucks.

There are exceptions of course, but this is how most people see it.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

replyed to the other post.

4. Detroitdan

Yeah I got that. What I was asking is if anyone knows whether a plowframe from a 6 lug will work on an 8 lug truck. I dont know if the donor truck is a 6 lug 1500 or 6 lug 2500, but it is 6 lug and my truck is an 8 lug. He says there is no difference, but like I said I keep seeing Fishers advertised as being for 8 lug trucks. I don't want to buy this plow for my 2500 and find out the frame is not useable.
    If it makes any difference, it is an 8 foot plow, which I dont see as often on the 1500s, most are 7.5s.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If its an 8' plow, its almost definitely for a 3/4 ton truck. Check the manufacturer's website for the part numbers maybe.

I'm pretty sure there are significant differences between a half ton frame and a 3/4 ton frame.

6. Detroitdan

cant find anything on the website, its too old. The plow is currently on a 6 lug truck. I dont know what difference there may be in the frame. I understand all the difference in axles and suspension between the 1500s, light 2500s and real 2500s. Plus my trucks a Suburban, if that makes any difference.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They will all fit all trucks that model. The only difference is 2wd vs 4wd are different. The 3500HD's also used a different mount than the std 2wd truck as well. BUT 1500, 2500, 3500 4x4 were all the same.

Those are very stout trucks. I've ran heavy plows even on half ton 90's GM's. Infact, my buddie has an MVP on a short bed half ton as we speak.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict