1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 lug vs 8 lug 90s ??s

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I keep seeing used plows for 90s GMs that say for 8 lug trucks or for 6 lug trucks. I'm talking about Speedcast conventionals. Can someone tell me what the difference is? I found an 8 foot conventional and the guy says it will fit my 94 8 lug, but its on a 93 6 lug. I cant see any difference between the two, but why else would everyone specify if it's 8 lug or not?
    Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

there is a tiny bit diffrence in the frame horns up front from what i understand.

i did see a guy bolt a speedcaster frame from a 1ton drw truck to a 6 lug 1/2 ton and used it just fine tho.

3. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

The frames on the trucks are different. A 1500 & 2500(7200GVW) are not the same as the 2500(8600GVW) & 3500. The parts that bolt to the truck are not going to fit both truck types.

Check out the fisher site. They have all the spec on PDF. Good luck.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

GM Bolt Paterns
    6 lug = 1/2 ton
    8 lug = 3/4 or 1 ton

5. sweetk30

not on 88-up with ifs. thay had light duty and heavy duty 3/4 tons. people get them mixed up all the time. there is diffrence in brake and some suspension parts along with rear axle size.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I thought those 6 lug 2500s were heavy 1/2 tons.

7. sweetk30

extra leaf in rear on some .

10 bolt rear 8.5 ring gear on std 1/2 ton

14 bolt semi float 9.5 ring gear on heavy half 6 lug and light duty 3/4 ton got 8 lug 14 semi float also.

brakes went bigger in the rear for the 14 semi float axle.

8. Detroitdan

I'm learning less than I already knew, hows that happen?

I totally understand about the 2 different 2500s, and that there is a 6 lug 1500 as well as a 6 lug 2500. Wasnt what I was asking.

9. sweetk30

read this one again buddy Thumbs Up

10. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

11. Detroitdan

I dont know how else to say it. It seems that K30 is saying that a guy took one off a 1 ton and put it on a half ton, so it should interchange. But CSSJIM says they wont work. I looked at the PDF and cant tell. Maybe I should call Fisher in the morning.

12. Detroitdan

I just went out and checked the door, it says 8600 gvwr

13. sweetk30

i sold the guy the plow frame from a 1ton ext cab drw truck.

he put it on a 1500 6 lug 1/2 ton . if it bolted on or needed mods i dont know. but he said it went right on there.

14. cuttinscott

cuttinscott Junior Member

The 1/2 ton light 3/4 tons used a little bit more steel in the fisher frame plates and the 3/4 and 1 tons actually had a little less steel in their fisher frame plates due to the truck frame being stronger so you can use any 88-2k C/K1500-C/K3500 frame plates and it will actually bolt right on...

Scott

15. cssjim

cssjim Junior Member
    from CT

16. Detroitdan

Well, I certainly appreciate all the input. I still am not certain if it's going to fit, I guess the only way I'll know is to drive way up there and test fit it. Havent done that because I havent had time and its a little far. I did find out my Burb is 8600 gvwr. I don't mind if I have to do a little cutting or drilling, but I'd hope to be able to avoid any major fabrication. I found an 8 foot speedcaster for my other truck, still havent got it on that truck either.