1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 liter diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snoluvr, Sep 16, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Anyone running a new 6.0 liter from ford yet? I have heard different opinions about them.Dealer says they are garbage(unofficially) but by buddy loves his.He got the 05 supercab with it and hypertech tuned it..luvs the truck and saves a ton on fuel.we'll see how she plows

2. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

I love my stock 05 diesel

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i have an 04 6l with 16,700 miles and it still puts a smile on my face. sorry to say it your dealer dont know what he's talking about.

4. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Other than the dead pedal from idle to about 1700 RPM's, I love the truck. My understanding with the dead pedal is that some 6.0's have it and some don't. Can't win them all. Other than that, I've had no other problems with the PSD.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

5. IDEALGREEN

IDEALGREEN Member
    from USA

04 Supercab PSD 6.0L

5,000 miles and the mileage keeps going up! Dead pedal here too but it makes up for it once she giddie-ups!
    Took her down the highway a month back, doing around 70 mph and stepped on it. Not to the floor but enough..... pow! 100 mph in a heartbeat!

I don't know about anyone else with the 6.0's but I've had several 7.3L owners envy my machine. No problems to date and now that it's cooling off - In the morning first thing if you let it idle..... It starts idling up. COOL! It must be an automatic warm-up program in the computer.

Going to be plowing this winter with it and keeping my gas 5.4 as backup. I'll post as the season goes on with ups and or downs of them. Worried about the FGVW a bit but the 5.4 gas I have been using already causes some problems going up curbs and hitting the mount. I currently use a Boss 8'2" Vee setup. Might have to add Timbrens if Ford didn't make up for the heavier engine.

LET IT SNOW - FORGET THE LEAVES! :bluebounc
    www.idealgreen.com

6. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Been swapping back and forth between 01 7.3 and 03 6.0. No comparison, 6.0 in my mind by a mile! Quieter (once it warms up a few minutes) DEFINITELY more power. It was built in May of 03, which tranny problems seemed to be solved by Feb of 03. Still had the trans replaced though at 16k miles. Mileage is about 17-18 avg. (7.3 got 17 pulling a 35' travel trailer to North Carolina a few years back). We'll see in the long run!

Justin

7. George C

George C Senior Member

Best diesel on the market.
    Quick, fast, and a mountain of trailer towing torque.
    I think the reason your dealer calls them "junk" is because Ford really dropped the ball with their electronics. Very inconsistant PCMs..
    You never see a problem with a 6.0L installed in an Interenational truck. As for mine, it's been perfect.

8. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

6.0L is INSANE

Don't be fooled by what the dealer tells you. What is happening at low RPM's is turbo lag. Basically what is going on is just like any rice rocket like my Jetta 1.8T, when you step on the gas, the turbo is spun by exhaust, at those low of RPM's, the only power you're getting is from the motor itself. Until the exhaust has enough pressure to spin the turbo to make a significant difference, it is called turbo lag, where the turbo is not helping to push and air into the motor. After that, hold on, because the 6.0L is going put you back in your seat. So before you go and listen to your dealers, try one out for yourself, and see what the new 6.0L has in store for you!

9. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

The cummins doesn't have any problems taking off! Hey George before you start calling 6 litre best diesel on the market, I think the 6 litre needs to get some years under it's belt. I'm sure 6 litre is great on performance but can't be much difference then dodge and chevy. There all rated basically the same. If one truck is a bit weaker they are just a simple K&N air filter away from being top dog. So boys don't get your panies in an uproar until you have at least 10+ years of reliability and performance! I'll give it to ya the 6 litre performs well, but lets see the the truck 8 to 10 years down the road with 300 to 400K miles on it. If the truck is still going strong then you got a hell of diesel motor, but until then there's no comparison. The majority of people by diesels for two reasons, power and reliability. All diesel motors these days have power.(Ford, chevy, and dodge). But none of them have been tested like the cummins. Ford and chevy both have new motors. There's a reason for that I do believe! :nod:

10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

There will always be some type of turbo lag, gas or diesel. I've owned several naturally aspirated diesels and turbo diesels, but this one takes first place with dead pedal. A close second would go to the Duramax. I've had better neck snapping, dead stop starts from non turbo trucks than this truck. Ford attempted to improve throttle response with the variable geometry turbocharger, but they haven't quite perfected it yet. Once the hydraulically actuated and electronically controlled vanes of the turbine housing get the boost pressure up, it makes up for lost ground.

No one should question the durability or longevity of this 6.0 motor. This isn't a converted gas to diesel motor like the mistake GM made years ago. The "B" series Cummins motor has been around in the marine and medium duty application for several years before it was ever put to light duty use. Marine application diesels will always spank road diesels in horse power and torque, but this helps develop the road diesels even further.

I like the rest, but my Ford is BEST!

Just my .02¢
    Rick

11. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

"No one should question the durability and longevity of this motor". Really! What has the 6 litre done to make you rise to this conclusion. Oh, that's right it's been out for a year and a half, and already best diesel made. What a joke!

12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You were the one who questioned this motor against your Cummins of 10 plus years. By the way, it takes more than just a K & N filter to make a motor "top dog."

I never said this was the best diesel made. I simply said my Ford is best. That's my opinion and nothing in that statement pertained to just the diesel motor.

If you want to sling the manufacturing mud around, don't come into the Ford Truck Discussion and do it here.

13. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

Cooters dodge i think your just jealous that a 6 lit will spank a cummins off the line. Hell my 7.3 will spank a cummins off the line.

14. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

40,000 miles on my '03. It was put in the shop 1 time for a broken transmission cable and chaffed wiring harness on the water separator. Still ticken like an Energizer Bunny and runs like a champ! I continue to knock off Durajunks and Cumms.....never mind ;)

Marshall

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Powerstroke and cummins are both excellent engines. I have driven trucks with both engines in them, and the Cummins SCREWS, fastest vehicle i have driven. I know the powerstroke is good, but Cummins i give the slight edge to. If you havent seen it on here do a search for "John DiMartino" read about his Dodge.

16. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

The Cummins is a great motor and if Ford offered it in their trucks I would probably have one. But I beleive that my Fords are more of a complete package than what Dodge or Chevy offers. And like CJA said Johns Dodge is very badass, now that is one Dodge that would be fun to have!! When you start talking about the Cummins, Duramax and Powerstroke, it is just like talking about blondes, brunettes or redheads. Everyone thinks that one or the other is better or better looking, it just all depends what you want to stick your key in.. :rolleyes: