1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 FT V-Box Question???????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DuallySnoPusher, Sep 21, 2006.

1. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

I have a full bed with a fuel cell and truck box and i need to keep them in so i was thinking about a 6ft salter. I was thinking about an electric but wanted to see what everyone else has to say. I have been looking at the SnowEX and the Swenson. Any info would be great!!!

:drinkup: payup

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I am picking up a 6ft Snoway stainless electric in Vermont tomorrow. $2950 New.

3. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

I use a 6' Sno-way electric stainless steel and it works great. I have a tool box in the back of my truck that I didn't want to get rid of so I went with the 6' and put 2x12 pressure treated lumber on the top rail to increase it's capacity. I've had over 2,000 lbs. in the salter. I do have some pictures of it under my post "my money maker" if your interested in looking at it.

Flipper:
    Where in VT are you picking up your spreader? Is it steel or stainless? If it's stainless that's a hell of a price, mine was $4000 and change.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've had great success with my VEE PRO 8000, I kick straight salt and it's been the bomb.
    This will be it's fourth season with out issues. It's not fond of frozen material or rocks, jams the auger. I've installed the 8 foot in 6.5 beds it fits quite well actually. The ability to control flow and spread independently and from the cab is great. That 2 guys can load and unload it is a big plus, as is the fact it sets flat on the ground for storage. The rear chute is much easier to remove the the snoway system, and there's not all the weight of the gear reduction box etc hanging of the rear. It's so easy, I often keep the spinner in the back of the truck until i'm ready to spread, keeps the rig shorter. I'll really been pleased.

Just my opinion, one of those things we all have one of. :waving:

5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

If you did want to go w/ a gas powered v-box you could go w/ a Swenson mini-vee. We have one that is a 5' so we could fit it in a variety of trucks, I think they make a 6' as well. Actually we have a Diamond, same as Meyers but is made by Swenson & marketed by Meyer/Diamond. I guess it boils down to which dealer is closer (Meyer/Diamond or Swenson) and who can get you the best price as it is the same unit. Ours seems pretty good although the you do get some bridging w/ wet materials/warm weather due to the fact the box is narrow at the bottom. Drier sand/salt works great. Need to try to put an inverted vee, piece of angle iron in there this year to see if it helps. Anyone know if an inverted vee will help to any degree?

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

adksnowo

Forget about the inverted V. We have taken all of ours out. It seems to bridge more with the inverted V in. I think it is designed to take some of the weight off the drag chain but it makes bridging worse.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try a vibrator kit. I'll never be with-out. I added one to a hopper years ago and have never had anything but good luck with it. stopped bridging, and provides a even flow of material.
    Kits run in the $350 +/- range well worth it. Never had to climb in the truck bed to knock tunnels loose again.