1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 cylinder F-150 for plowing

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by glennv, Oct 18, 2014.

1. glennv

glennv Junior Member
    from RI

I have a 6.5 foot pathfinder plow, about 600 pounds. I've run it on my jeep with no issues but I'm looking for another truck that's not a daily driver. I've found a 2002 f150 auto with a v6. Is this a no go? I plan to use the truck for plowing two driveways and maybe an errand here and there.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe try another thread?

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You're just going to have to deal with all the newbies and their wrong section posts until winter is like half way over. Mid October is when to start planning for plowing you know. ;)

To answer the OP's question, that truck will push it just fine but a 7 to 7.5 footer would be better. I guess it will work for a couple drives but that's all I'd do with it. You know you'll have to go back to Pathfinder for a mount and maybe even controls, right?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Go for it...you'll be fine. I've pulled skid steers with a 6cyl before. Now post a pic of your setup before your thread gets moved.

5. glennv

glennv Junior Member
    from RI

Youre right I didn't read the sub forum title.

I would have thought a larger plow would be more work for the truck. No?

And yeah pathfinder will have to make me a new mount but the company is about 4 miles from my house.

6. dieselss

It's a 4x4? If so you have 4 low

7. glennv

glennv Junior Member
    from RI

Yes it's 4wd. I ran my jeep in 4 low and it did just fine but also has 4:56 gears.

8. dieselss

You'll be fine

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Just remember to plow with the storm. Most trucks run out of traction long before they run out of power.