1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6 Blizzard 810ss plows with minor problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris Marino, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Chris Marino

Chris Marino Junior Member

We purchased 6 Blizzard 810ss snow plows for our new holland skid steers and have had only minor problems. Most of the problems have been wire related from the operators lifting the plows to high and seperating the wires. Other then that the operators love them.

Chris

2. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Blizzard Plows

Blizzard Plows are quite flawless. I sold 3 810ss' and have had nothing but positive comments. Sold about 25 810s' and the only complaint I have had is "I wish the light bar came off with the plow".

Other than that, I think the Blizzard Plow will be the only plow to run.

I can't wait for Blizzards new plows to come out in the summer.

Glad to see you are not part of the Blizzard bashing crowd.

Keep up the movement of snow.

:D :D :p

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Its not about Blizzard bashing , its simply reporting on a new design, good and bad . Its obviously working for some.

Ours is down again after last night.

4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I support the good and the bad everyone has to say about every product. I will be purchasing new equipment in the next year or so, and find all of the information valuable. For example, I will not get a blizzard now (even though they look like the would work kick A$$) for my truck, but would for a skid loader, my next plow for the truck will be a V, but with out the updates on what people are using, I would be just taking it from what I know... Thanks for the information, keep it comming....:D

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Plow Problem

Tom,

What issues are you having?

Maybe I can Help?

Let me know.

:(

6. PINEISLAND1

Caught the extended wing on a curb, bent, twisted or jammed the wing in the track/channel ? I'm not sure since I was on a site on the north end of our route, and I had him on the south end. He seemed too disgusted to talk much about it, and was heading back to try and fix it or get parts for it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  7. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Plow, plows,and more plows

Just a thought, I am the only Blizzard dealer for 50 miles, we are located in Byron Center, Have your guy stop by so we can take a look at his plow and come up with a solution.

Tom,

I am always here to help, even in snow storms. I open my shop @ 4 am in a storm, if you need it.

Thank.

Jon

8. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Re: Blizzard Plows

Is this the 8611 design on the 810?

9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

until a dealer gives me a free storm demo.i won't buy one until i see no more updates on here about problems.thats all i need is a plow to go down in a storm and spend hours fixing it or im stuck in a lot because it won't go up so i can get to the dealer.

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, Jon... it might help if we knew the city that you were in...from the zip code it looks like grandrapids to lansing area.;)

~Nate~

11. jonmeyer

jonmeyer Junior Member

RE: TOMS BLIZZARD PROBLEMS

Tom, I spoke to steve about 4am on Sunday morning. We know what the problem is and it is being corrected right now. We have most parts in stock, and the 24/7 service worked great the last few nights. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
    Thanks, Jon
    PS: Spring kit for Boss will be in this week. Need more magic. Enjoy the pic,

12. PINEISLAND1

Steves plow

blizzard2.jpg

13. PINEISLAND1

The bent / sheared hinge pin.

blizzard4.jpg

14. PINEISLAND1

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just my opinion...

Looks like that plow has been WORKED HARD! Notice the rusty areas down by the plow shoe area. That is plow stress that caused the paint to loose its adherance. :eek:

Speaking of paint, is the Blizzard paint THAT bad? My BOSS is over 10 years old and doesn't have any rust on the back side. A little is starting on the front due to stone drives, but...

Also to me it looks as though the damage that was done would NOT have happened if the wing was retracted. I guess you need to know when its safe to extend them. Was it a hidden obstruction that was hit?

As for trouble free plows.... My BOSS was definately NOT one of them. Sure its been totally trouble free lately, but the first 2 seasons were NOT fun! Especially with a dealer that was 28 miles away and would NOT drop ship parts that they DID NOT have in stock!

My NEXT plow WILL be a BLIZZARD or one of its design. Too many drawbacks with a V-Plow that you don't have with the BLIZZARD. And I'll only be loosing the ability to pierce through drifts and such in the V position which I only use 1% of the time!!

16. PINEISLAND1

This plow was new at the END of last season.

17. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

WOW Tom I feel for steve.

he had a problem when he came out to help me as well.

I hope he gets up and running

18. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

TLS
    what are the drawbacks with a v-blade campared to the blizzared plows, we have 6 fisher v-blades right now (4 8.5 and 2 9.5) and as far as drawbacks to these plows I haven't found one yet. I guess what I am trying to say is what makes the blizzard plows so much superior compared to the v-plows. I do believe that the blizzard plows have come along way through the years and they seem to be getting better every year but I don't have problems with my plows ripping apart (side wings falling off) while I am plowing and I have always believed that when ever you add more parts to a design (expandable wings) you take more risk in the product failing. Before this turns into a pissing match I just want to say that I am in no way putting blizzard plows down because I do like the design I just don't think it is as bullet proof as a v-blade and before the flaming begins I have used subs that have blizzard plows, One had serious issues (side wings wouldn't work) the other worked great so I am basing this on experience and not second hand knowledge. If these plows are that much superior to everything out there then I look forward to everyones response to the question "what makes them so much better" because if they are better than maybe I should be buying a couple of these for myself.

19. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

The good thing I see with the Blizzard is the fact that even if the wings break, you can still use it as a straight plow. People have to remember these things aren't bulldozers.

20. PINEISLAND1

I have hit hidden curbs, or curbs buried in a drift before as well. In fact , a few years ago I hit this very same one Steve did with my Boss V.

This certainly was normal use, not "bulldozing" by any means.