1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.9 Overheating

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dirtboy953B, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

I've got a 86' F-350 6.9 and I've been having trouble with it overheating,I have put a new radiator,thermostat,and fan clutch,the water pump is only a year old,it does fine plowing and salting but when going down the highway it get's hot,if I pull over it will cool down fast...like less than 2 min. I used do go down the highway with the plow all the way up and it would not get anywhere close to hot...it was hard to get the cab warm
  2. nycpsd

nycpsd Junior Member
    from nyc/pa

Did you buy a motorcraft t-stat of aftermarket? did you maybe get the t-stat for a gas and not a diesel truck(Part number is Motorcraft E5TZ-8575-C or Navistar 1807974C94) the reason I ask is some people have trouble with the bypass in aftermarket t-stats.
    Notice any oil in the coolant or on the radiator cap a quick check with the engine cold remove radiator cap and crank over truck if it gushes out you may have a problem with the combustion pressure entering the cooling system which would translate to head gasket. also another sign of head gasket is loss of coolant
    As for the heater core I would try to flush just the core then blow it out with and air hose as to not over dilute your antifreeze see if that get you any heat.
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I think he meant that the truck didn't get warm enough for good heat, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, and not to hijack, but I'm interested in your thoughts on plowing with the 6.9. I'm looking at one and I'd like to know if there's anything you think I should know. PM me if you get a chance.

Thanks and good luck.
  4. bo alps hunter

bo alps hunter Junior Member

Sounds to me like the clutch on the fan isn't working, when it gets warm/hot the fan should make enough noise that you should hear it, even going down the road.