1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.8l V-10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigbadbrad, Aug 7, 2011.

1. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

anyone have one of these? how do you like them? Fuel mielage is not a huge concern for me cause it will be mostly a plow/ work truck. I have a car that i use to commute and go on trips with. I have found a couple of them in the style i am looking for, they cost a lot less to buy then the diesels. I just sold my 02 7.3l which i had turned up some also so i know it wont have as much power as it. well just looking for your opninon on them. how do they plow? how do they tow? i kept my 8.5ft xtreme vee off of my other truck so I am looking for an 99-04 style so i can bolt my plow right up to it. i dont tow often, and when i do it is just my tractor, or my dad's antique tractor to go to the pulls with. Thanks in advance guys:mechanic:
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to be one of those "do a search" response kind of guys... There's been a couple good discussions on the V10 in the past. I have 3, 2 2-valve and a 3-valve. Great solid dependable engines, plenty of power for whatever you want to do, but don't expect good mileage. I average 10-11 mpg around town, 12-13 on the highway, and anywhere from 7-10 towing depending on the load, wind resistance, and how fast I feel like going. For just plowing, a V10 (or a diesel for that matter) isn't necessary, my 5.4 V8 truck pushes just as well as the V10 trucks and gets better fuel economy doing it. Towing however the V10's leave the 5.4 in the dust.
  3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Mine is awesome, had a 2003 2 Valve and now my 2009 3 valve, just hit 25k on the ticker and the thing is still a beast.

Great truck with last of great 6.8's !! Thumbs Up
  4. MBB

MBB Senior Member

just over 100,000 miles on my 99, v10 f350, does as well as my old 6.9 ever did. I"ve just had the standard group of issues, by no means unique to ford.
  5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

well i am going to look at one on saturday, any problem areas to look hard at? i know about the standard superduty problem areas cause i have already owned one, i know exh manifolds are one problem area on the 6.8l
  6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Had 70k on my old 04 1 ton dump. One coil pack, never any other issues. Great motor, pulled, towed, plowed, took a beating with no issues.
  7. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I have the 05 superduty with the 6.8 v10 and love it lots of power and no issues with anything at 78000 miles,not great on gas its a truck and if i wanted a gas saver wouldnt have bought thisbut im strictly a truck guy ,