1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6"-8" inches in Ct. Monday ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSno, Apr 6, 2003.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Thats what there forcasting. Now I have to pull down my sanders and put the plows on. Gee what about the lots that have been swept already? oh well, this is what we do for a living.:rolleyes:

2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

5-8 total in Ma

I just read 5-8 by Tue Morning. starting Mon around noon

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I just watched The Weather Channel local on the 8's and they said Winter Storm Warning for here, N.J., 3-6 inches possible. Just when you thought it was all over, get your plows on! I find it hard to believe it will snow though, Im not putting mine on until I watch this weather more throughout the day. I hate when I put it on for no reason! :realmad: Mike :)

4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 Banned

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FOR MONDAY THROUGH MONDAY EVENING.Monday: Snow will become heavy at times during the afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the low 30s. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 6 to 8 inches.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

For any accounts dragging their feet paying, call monday AM. Nothing like having them over a barrel. BTW the snow is all my fault, I put new alcoa rims and tires on my truck friday. That surely sealed the deal for snow.
    Dino

6. bwamx

bwamx Member

Hey Dino,
    Are your rims clear coated? If not try Blue Chip aluminium polish
    it works great on these rims ,as I'm running Alcoas also.
    And Bill, ProSnow I'll try to stay on the road and out of the MUD this time.

Be careful of the SOFT ground !!!
    Some Winter, plowing from Nov till now this seems to be one of the longest plow seasons I can remember.
    We will have to wait and see.:D
    Bob

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

No they are not clear coated, I bought them used from the bargain news for 400.00. It didnt have lug nuts, and they ended up costing 160.00. But I got chrome ones, the regular steel ones were 4.80 a piece. I should have waited as I know have more of a street tread on the truck now, and the agressive tread has been packed away for the season.
    Dino

8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I'll bet you'll need 6" just to get 2" to stick on the ground.

9. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

It would be nice John but my luck we'll get 6 and 8 will stick. All my stuff is getting pulled off racks now and going on trucks. Moved equipment to sites and I'll wait it out. Rather be ready than not. Damn new england weather think I'll leave my trucks set up till July.:realmad:

10. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I've only got one truck to rig, so I'm not putting the plow on until I see three inches on the ground. I'll probably unload all the spring clean-up equipment before dark today though.

Do you guys that do residentials increase the trigger this time of year since it's bound to melt pretty quick?

11. bwamx

bwamx Member

We'll See::rolleyes:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
    215 PM EDT SUN APR 6 2003

.PREPARE FOR A MAJOR EARLY SPRING SNOW STORM MONDAY THROUGH MONDAY
    NIGHT.

CTZ005>012-NJZ002>006-011-NYZ067>079-070158-
    BERGEN NJ-BRONX NY-EASTERN PASSAIC NJ-ESSEX NJ-HUDSON NJ-
    KINGS (BROOKLYN) NY-NASSAU NY-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) NY-
    NORTHEAST SUFFOLK NY-NORTHERN FAIRFIELD CT-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX CT-
    NORTHERN NEW HAVEN CT-NORTHERN NEW LONDON CT-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER NY-
    NORTHWEST SUFFOLK NY-ORANGE NY-PUTNAM NY-QUEENS NY-
    RICHMOND (STATEN IS.) NY-ROCKLAND NY-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD CT-
    SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX CT-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN CT-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON CT-
    SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER NY-UNION NJ-WESTERN PASSAIC NJ-

...A WINTER STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR 6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW
    FOR MONDAY MORNING AND MONDAY NIGHT...

...NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR MONDAY AFTERNOON AND
    EVENING...

AN UNUSUALLY STRONG HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER CENTRAL CANADA WILL
    BUILD SOUTHEAST AND PROVIDE A THICK LAYER OF COLD AIR ACROSS THE
    REGION.

SNOW IS FORECAST TO DEVELOP BETWEEN 8 AM AND 11 AM. BURSTS OF HEAVY
    SNOW...FALLING AT RATES FROM 1 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR...WILL OCCUR IN
    NARROW BANDS THROUGH AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET AND MAY
    CHANGE TO SLEET BRIEFLY ALONG THE IMMEDIATE ATLANTIC OCEAN SHORES BY
    LATE AFTERNOON.

NORTHEAST WINDS AVERAGING 20 TO 30 MPH...COMBINED WITH HEAVY
    SNOW...WILL CREATE NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL QUITE
    HAZARDOUS

Aren't we suppose to be cleaning up ?

Bob

12. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I dont know how to feel about it. its good its gonna snow, cause now i have to procure all my blowers and stuff, cause they got stolen last night. nailed me for $2,500 worth of equipment..... but im not happy im gonna have to pick sand up all over again at some places.

13. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Matt...
    Sorry to hear about your equipment... what happened ??

14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

sorry to hear that Matt give me a holler if you need any help.

Jay

15. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i had my enclosed trailer parked in an industrial area where my father has an office. they came in last night, cut my locks off the back gate, lowered it, and took my br400 backpack, my 9hp honda little wonder, my echo trimmer with powerbroom attachment, and my tools. if anybody in CT notices these for sale anywhere... please let me know. its all insured(except for the tools, cant find receipt), so im gonna go tomorrow and order new stuff. ticks me off somebody would go and do this. it coulda been worse i guess, cause they left my lazer and scag, and didnt take the rest of the attachments to the trimmer. that tells me they opened it up looking for something else... and just took the stuff at the back. if you are gonna steal a split boom trimmer, why not take the other two attachments? i was always under the impression "that stuff doesnt happen in glastonbury", but i was proven wrong

time to go hook the plow up now.... maybe i should chain it to my truck:eek:

16. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

:realmad:

That's bad.

Chaining the plow to the truck, I know you probably said it as a joke, but there have been threads on here about the various ways people chain it up to both their storage place and the truck. My truck was broken into once, fortunately, someone saw the guys and scared them off, so now I am always paranoid about someone stealing something from the truck. When there is equipment on it, I back it up to a wall or other vehicle so the tailgate is blocked. The same with the plow, try to put it up against a building, or when all else fails, I chain and padlock it to the truck. Sure, none of those items will stop someone who wants it from getting it, but hopefully will slow them down !

Again, real sorry to hear about your equipment. I'm glad they didn't get your big stuff though.

17. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Id rather give something away then have it stolen,, sorry to hear that Matt.

I regards to this snow that may develop, I have on my signed contracts a given date that has ended March 15th, 11/25-3/15.

Would you first call up in the morning to these localities to see if they want service or should we just show up like we had this entire past season ?

Im thinking yes and no to both cases :confused:
    Thanks

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Matt, very sorry to hear about your equipment! I hope you get it back, or atleast get enough out of the insurance to buy new equipment. This sort of thing really pisses me off, I hate when people gotta mess with someone elses stuff! Hes probably out trying to sell it to another landscaper for a few bucks, keep your eyes open for another landscaper with it. Im not saying another fellow landscaper would steal your stuff, but maybe they bought it cheap off the guy who did steal it. Again, sorry to hear the bad news Matt. Hope it works out to your favor. Mike

19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

John, temps are dropping here. Just took a parking lot temp and it was only 36f. 31F air temp here. Supposed to be cold and cloudy so no sun heating tomorrow early. I think there will be good accumulations.

Matt, I know many of the shops west of Waterbury. I know it is farther away but I will spread the word on people looking to sell stuff Feel for you. I know what it is like.

Good luck to all plowing tomorrow. This is why I never put the equipment away until mid-April. All I had to do was mount plows today.

Looks like this could be a good storm.

20. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Just got in from putting all the plows on and getting everything ready, had to move the loader and pushers around and get alot of stuff ready, but I am glad we are getting the snow, nice extra income, just got to drive it into all the drivers heads that they got to stay away from all the curbs and grass areas, really easy to do alot of damage fast, one truck we left the leaf box on but that should be alright, but all the other stuff is ready, SO BRING IT ON.
    Just my two cents