1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.7 Running hot with fisher

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Plower845, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

Just got my plow installed tuesday, and used it tuesday night. I noticed it runs a little hot when im driving. I didnt put my plow all the way up, nor was it angled. I hate keeping my plow low to the ground, but i have to cool the engine down. Anybodys elses truck run hot. I have a 8' fisher

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Did that truck come with plow prep? If not, if it is like the Chevy's, the plow prep comes with a different fan clutch.

3. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

What is a little hot? Year of truck?

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I know last season some people were having overheating issued with the 4500/5500 deries trucks with the 6.7. Do a search lots of good reading.

5. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

It did come with the prep package, the dodges dont have that extra fan. Its a 08

6. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

It will get a little over the 200 mark but i fire the heat up

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i would't worry about it if it only goes a little above 200. my 5.9 is not phased at all with the plow on, doesn't matter how high or angled its always around 190

8. AA+ Landscaping

A little over 200 is ok. On the highway don't ran in tow/haul it will start to run hot.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Mine might go a needle width past 200 on the highway. I DON'T have the plow prep. I wouldn't worry about it.

10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

AA+ lets see some pics of that 5500

11. AA+ Landscaping

Here's your pic! :D

5500 in snow.jpg

12. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I dont think you can get a snow plow prep with the cummins. Yes they run hot especially when it goes into regen. Mine would over heat on the highway. Dealer couldnt do anything about it so I got rid of the dpf and regens. Still gets hot but not overheating.

13. sno commander

from ct

you can get the plow prep on the cummins ;)

14. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Yep I have an 08 2500 with the 6.7 and as soon as I had my plow put on it overheated on the way home. But I had it put on in October and it was in the 60's. I still havent gotten to really plow with it but I've had it on and sometimes it will heat up but if I just turn on the heat it takes care of that. I have a Meyer Super V2, by the way.

15. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

The Cummins does have a plow prep available, as just stated.

When you say "running hot', is it actually overheating or just warmer than normal?

16. mcnichol

mcnichol Junior Member

i have the same issue. 05 cummins actually
    overheats only when plowing. is fine while driving. its fine any other time

17. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

06 5.9 CTD here with SPP pkg and never had an overheating issue. On the days of -20 or colder I'm lucky if I can get and keep 'er up to operating temp at all. The heated leather comes in handy on those days.

18. sno commander

from ct

is your fan coming on? my 07 5.9 with the plow prep could care less with the plow on, never gets warm. maybe they change the location of sensors with the plow prep trucks?

19. Plower845

Plower845 Member
    from ny

Its been running good now, i started to angle it all the way and it keeps cool

20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member