1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.7 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plow4u, Mar 27, 2015.

1. plow4u

plow4u PlowSite.com Veteran

Thinking about trading my 2013 f250 6.2 gas in on a 6.7 diesel this would be my first diesel. Any problems with the 6.7 ? I am driving a 2015 6.7 f250 rental right now while mine is in the body shop (Thanks to a drunk driver) and am very impressed with the power. Interested in input of switching to the Diesel.

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

It would take an act of Congress to get me to buy another diesel, of ANY brand in anything less than a 450/550 class truck. They're all an over rated expensive pain in the ass clusterfuck.

The only way I'd consider it is if it were ALWAYS hooked to a minimum of 15K pounds, and if you're towing that constantly you need a 450/550. Anything less than that, a gas engine is just fine.

Just my opinion after having nothing but diesels and making the switch on our last 2 trucks.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you want to switch?

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Do I need 600 horses..... No, but I like it

Op, I do 45-50K a year. On 4th 6.7 with no/none problems.

Buy gas unless you need diesel.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

After buying 1ton diesel pickups since '92 I went for a gasser in a '15. The $8,500.00 premium for a diesel and operating cost didn't make sense to me.
    As JDG said pulling over 15k go diesel and go with a 450/550.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

X2. If you're just impressed but don't really need it....keep your gasser.

7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

X3 on above comment

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Once you look at the price difference between a gasser and an oil burner, I think your lust will dissipate pretty quickly. As others have said, unless you really need a diesel, it makes absolutely no economic sense.

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

JD...please do let us know how you really feel about those power house diesels.

I am still looking for those spark plugs. But I get about 19 MPG with my 03 Dodge with 378,000 miles on it and plow with it every winter. Still holding up quite well for me...but then it is Cummins.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My last truck was a 2004 Ram 2500 with the zero emissions HO Cummins. Comparing that (and yours) to today's new diesels is almost apples and oranges. I could sit in the engine bay of that truck and work on it.

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

X4, I want a diesel, I love them, but the cost is more then I'm willing to pay. Plus the gassers are pretty impressive these days.

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Go buy two maybe three good used southern diesels for the same money :)

13. John_DeereGreen

Hit the nail on the head.

We have 2 3'rd gen 6.7 Dodges. That's enough experience for me to say piss on diesel.

They are more fun to drive and tow with, but I'm not trying to have fun. I'm trying to run a business and make money.

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Bummer you had problems. What were your issues with them ?

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There dodges...need anyone say more

16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

My gasser gets about 13-14 mpg and gas is about 25% less then diesel per gal so that makes the dollars per mile a wash. I haven't put a nickel into my gas engines, everytime I fix a diesel it cost me thousands. Not to mention the extra cost of the diesel engine new or used.

17. John_DeereGreen

Emissions control systems equipment. Sensors, filters, valves, coolers, turbo vanes, etc.

Then we went the emissions delete route with a stock power EFI Live tune. Just opened up a whole nother can of worms.

The ONLY up side to the diesels (if there can be a gold flake in a pile of ****) is the fact that they burn about 30% less fuel plowing and the torque helps carry you through heavier snows. Still isn't worth it.

One has yet to go to the shop for engine/transmission work and the bill been less than 4 figures. These diesel shops think they're God and charge a small fortune to even write up a repair order.

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I am hoping Ford ups the power on the 6.2 gas for 17. The engine will be 7 years old at that point with no hp increase...or mpg increase. I sure hope they don't leave it alone and try to say the 700lb lighter aluminum body is the same as a power increase. If they don't add power to it, I may just go diesel in 17.
    My F350 is not exactly snappy with the plow on and a full hopper of wet sand...even with 4:30 gearing.
    It works, but it returns 7 mpg all winter. I am in the throttle a lot.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think there is even a motor in the engine bay of my 6.7. I think it's just filled with plastic covers, various coolers and heat exchangers, and an assortment of tubes and hoses and the motor is actually somewhere else on the truck. :help:

20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Very scary under there! :eek: