1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.7 Cummins Milage? Info?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by exmark1, Mar 27, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at buying a new Dodge 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins and 6 Speed Automatic transmission.

What kind of fuel milage are these getting? Any issues or things to look out for? I am looking at buying a brand new one or one with low miles.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Friends boss has an 07, crew cab short bed, 3500, 4x4. 6.7/auto. Said he is getting 17mpg hand calc.
    I believe he is on turbo number 3 at 25k. Otherwise it sounds like it's been a good truck.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i have not heard of anu issues with them.

i know 3 different guys with 6.7L they seem to be midteens to highteens on MPG

4. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

I have one and pretty consistant at 17 mpg. If your friend is on his third turbo, he allowing his truck to idle way too long, This fills up the DPF filter and more times than not,, codes a bad turbo.. I doubt it really is a turbo problem but he, allowing excessive idling,, I use to idle this one too, when zero or below, now, idle about three minutes then drive...

5. exmark1

I have never heard that before... What gear ratio are you running? 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10 I think those were the 3 options...

17 is about the same that I average on my 2003 with the 5.9 and I think that I have 4.10 gears on that one

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll have to ask. It's a dd/farm truck so I'm sure it sits there and idles quite a bit, especially when it's pretty cold outside.

7. exmark1

Is there anyway to bypass the pdf filter crap on these newer trucks? With a chip or something... Maybe I would be better off finding a low miled 5.9 in a 06 or 07 model

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure you can just run an mbrp or similar full system with a tuner and the truck would know no different. Probably check cumminsforum.com to see how guys are tuning out the dpf stuff in the computers.

9. exmark1

Kind of what I was thinking... I don't need the emissions crap! I really want the 6.7 for the exhaust brake from the factory

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The new emission systems on the 6.7 Cummins equipped Dodges have been giving people LOTS of problems. Like Mark13 said, get onto CumminsForum.com and read about it. The DPF's clog up and shut the truck down. It can happen to a truck that is worked hard, or to a grocery getter. They are hit or miss. You can remove all of the emissions equipment to solve this problem, and you will have to by a programmer with "foolers" to plug into the sensors in the stock exhaust system sensors. This does solve the problems, but you can kiss your warranty coverage goodbye. Mileage is generally poor until you remove the system, because regens use up a lot of fuel. Many people claim an increase of 3 -5 mpg's after removing the emissions equipment.

On edit, the 6 speed auto and the exhaust brake are awesome. And, the 6.7 is awesome AFTER you get rid of the stock exhaust system.

11. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

finally got power back, anyway Exmark , I run 410 rears because of my L48 TLB and trailer.. Can't get away with anything else., Yes, there are a few days that mileage drops and windy days, providing it is at your back that I do better, 17 is a good all around mileage overall. I hear this all the time that DPF systems cause a lot of problems.. Again, if one doesn't idle too much, they aren't a problem. If this is a for use farm and he allows this to idle, (which plugs up the DPF real quick, thus the turbo warning) thene he is only hurting himself.. Twice now, I got a warning that the DPF filter will clean its self. You have to drive it at 60mpg for 40 or so miles for it to do it's thing. My only complaint was that both times it decided it was time, I wasn't ready and was going or ready to do something else, My only saving grace is I live right of an exit on I 84 and both times I just got on drove west to Manchester CT and returned home.

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to step on anyones toes here... but I have read many stories, from the guys it has happened to, to the contrary.

13. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

I also wrote, I too heard the stories however,, and it is a big however,. I my self use to own and operate tractor trailers, so diesels aren't something new to me.,. Again, especially older persons like myself, when you knew you had to idle to stay from gelling or idle up to warm up before taking off. These are hard habits to break,, Idling isn't the only cause or problem. IT is however one of the largest of the problems and one that I watch for now, Others who bought before and after I did, same thing. idle, idle and idle some more, then the problems start, Again, there must be other causes I am sure, I just haven't run into them.///