1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6-7 Acre Lot " Charge"??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rjjahner, Aug 12, 2010.

1. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

Need a ballpark number for this lot...This is a commercial lot with alot of traffic and many semis driving thru the lot, this is a 24 HR lot.... Wide open spaces for putting the snow and it is longer than it is wide. Also after the snowfall they are going to move all the trailers to plow inbetween the trailers as well. I have 2 SS with 8' pushers and they are both 2 speed. Also have access to a Steiger with a 14' straight blade and another SS and also a plow truck. So what do you charge?

The owner said they usually put down 3-4yds of salt per snow fall.But didnt tell me how much the previous guy charged to plow the lot just knew he wasnt satisfied.... What is the equation for yard of salt = how many pounds?
    I have a 800 lb salter and wondering how many yds that is? Thanks

pm me Thanks again Ryan
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You tell us what you think it's worth and then we'll tell you higher or lower. A yard is basically a ton.
  3. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

$1000 for plowing
    $80/hr for cleaning up
    $1100 for salting each time
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I my market your high on everything (40%)
    You need to know your market
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I think this tells us just about everything we need to know.
  6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Easy there Mr. T, he'll be calling you a dumb a$$ next................... :confused:
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

First thing you need to do is get bigger pushers for the SS's.....Then maybe throw some better operators in em, than what you have in the past.

he...he...hehe........BTW, hows your concrete season been going joe? What do you see for the later part of the season? & has your customer/work base changed much? Have a good one.
  8. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

I will not call anyone a dumb ass unless need be. I am not a *******. and I dont know why you think I am ?? DO you have a reason?
  9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Don't take offense. Alot of people come on this site and ask what to charge.... We're not going to give you those numbers. It like asking your competition how much their going to charge.... but the guys on here are very helpful to point you in the right direction. We will give you time figures based on the equipment you'll be using....Do you know what your costs are? What do you charge for an hourly rate? If your serious about snow consider joining SIMA.... very good info about production rates for various pcs of equipment. Theres also the search function... sometimes you can find the answers to your questions... use that first and if you can't find it post away!
  10. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

I understand. But I didnt ask EXACT Numbers. I just wanted a ballpark # thats all. Greatly appreciate the help.
  11. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

12. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

13. rjjahner

rjjahner Member

I was just wondering if you would charge so much an hr or by the job or by the inch and if so a ballpark number on what you would charge.. Thanks Ryan
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This particular question is extremely basic, which you really should know. I didn't avoid the turkey shoot....sorry....I found humor in your question of how many yards will fit in your 800 lb salter.

I didn't call you any names.

The actual weight of a cubic yard of salt is debatable and varies due to it's moisture content....

There's your answer. Good luck to you.
  15. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You need to figure your production rate, you labor, materials, equipment. Then you can figure your price... Also you have to know what your market is.
  16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 873 with a plow on it not a pusher, but even my 773 will lift & move my 14 backhoe model Protec, the 14' HD Artic it will not lift, the 873 probably would but with the tires I have on it I won't try ::cool: if I need to move it I'll use the loader. Both Bobcat & Artic said to put a 10' pusher on my 873 for what it's worth, I may try this year depending on what comes it (I have a site in mind) & a 10 with a bucket mount I could change out realitivly cheap.
    Your are going to need to know what your market pricing is & you cost you have plenty of equipment for pushing, your light on the salter (get a Vbox) run bulk the bags will kill you. Your going to go through roughly 2 ton/visit. That lot should be 6-7 truck hours with the right drivers. Again what you get is based on your market.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  17. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

have fun with the tractor ussmileyflag
  18. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Easy there Mr. SIMA build a Bid.....Baby steps:help:
  19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Then when you come up with a price...Throw it out the window and go lower....This Market is Flooded with kids running around charging nothing...Right Mr SIMA....or do i call you AJ SIMA.....:laughing:
  20. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Ryan, it sounds like you might be in over your head but you have to learn some way. Once you figure out how much your cost is per hour. Come back with a ball park number that you are going to give to the owner. Share that number with us and we will give you insight from there....FYI, no matter what number you come up with. Remember its always high to the owner. Stick to your number and if he doesnt like it. Its not worth your time....or money