1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5L Turbo diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TRITONSNOWREM, Sep 25, 2002.

I'm looking at a 93 chevy 2500 with a 6.5L turbo diesel. Can anyone tell me if they have had any expierience with this motor or not ? Good Bad or otherwise !
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a '97 6.5 turbo mine runs good ,I think that the '93's are non turbo thus lower HP I feel that mine really does not have that much power compared to my powerstroke.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 93 has a turbo,it is actually way better than the newer 6.5's,since it has the reliable mechanical injection pump. That engine is good for about 165-200K if it was manintained.Look for a lot of oil leaks,and oil in the breather tube,it is has both of these it probably is getting tired.If its clean,id go for it.The 4L80E is a great trans(if its a auto),but reverse is the weakest link.check the ball joint,s,idler arm,and pitman arm they are likely all worn out if they are original,and it has high miles.As for all out power,it cant compare to new trucks,but the old 6.5 certainly is adequete and runs real queit and smooth.
  4. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

I have heard very little good about that engine, personally if I were buying a Chev it would have to be a gas!!

A rancher here had one lay down at less than 100K. And he was very careful on maint, and is not a hard driver.
  5. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

I have owned 8 Gm trucks with 6.5 diesels. Except for the injection pump problems (1994-1997) models they have been fantastic motors. They got a bad reputation with the general population over the injection pumps but the rest of the motors were for the most part good. I still own 5 of them and 3 of them are between 225,000 and 275,000 miles and we've never had to do anything to the motors except change the oil regularly. John is correct about the 1993 having the mechanical injection which never had any problems. You might want to find out if the glow plugs have been changed before as usually at that age they are usually getting worn out, although I have a 94 thats still on the originals.
  6. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Kurt congrats is all I can say. You are the first in a long list of those that hate them. I have a bunch of Chev fans friends and even they don't like em. :drinkup:

RYAN SMITH Junior Member
    from PA

We have one 93 chevy 6.5 we have had it since new and we never have had a major problem with it.I think it has over 120,000 on it.
  8. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

I have a 97 6.5TD...The truck has 140,000 kilometres on it and the engine has 118,000 K (original owner had the block replaced at 22,000 K). The truck has all service records and is extremely clean and well taken care of. It currently sits at a dealership with a repair estimate for $18,500.00 CDN. This is the only option I have if I want Chevy to provide any "goodwill" towards the bill and will contribute $6,700. It broke the crankshaft. The final determination from Chevy, DUE TO ITS POOR DESIGN (in use with the 5 speed tranny) it failed. The technician basically said it broke due to everyday use. The truck is 7 months past warranty, 18,000k short of what would have been covered if time had not expired.

9. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I have a 98 GM 6.5 and no trouble with it. It has 75,000 miles on it and plow every year, commercial plowing, towing, and go to truck pulls. No problems yet. It's no Cummins or Powerstroke in regards to hp but works well.
    Some things to check are the harmonic balancer, the rubber in there dry's out and will result in a snapped crank shaft, glow plugs, and do a compression check.