1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5L turbo diesel II

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrodgers, Sep 27, 2002.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

What are the most important maintanence procedures to keep these motors running smoothly for many miles( besides changing the oil). I have a 2000 3500hd with about 25,000 miles on it. Only had one problem with it where the battery leaked on the cable causing it and the battery to go bad( still under warranty) Thanks.....

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That's one of the benefits of a diesel, there isn't much for maintenance. Just do your oil and filter changes, including air and fuel, and buy quality fuel.

You should also get yourself a coolant test kit, available at any good auto parts store. Test your coolant at every oil change to see if additives are needed to prevent cavitation, which will bore holes in your block over time.

3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Like you said oil and filter is important. I also change the fuel filter more than recomended. Forget about cavitation as thats for a different design block, like the Ford PowerStroke. I also think warm up and cool down times are very important in a diesel, turbo ones anyway.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My 98 K-3500 has 68K on it and I just had the same battery issue. Didnt ruin the battery tho, but the bad connection did ruin an alternator. Use a good diesel fuel supplement as well. I use blue label from stanadyne. Just remmeber that probably no matter how well you treat that engine it will need a new injector pump at around 50K. It will be covered by warranty, as the injection system has a 11 yr and 120K mi supplimental warranty with no deductable, aside from the 5 yr 100K that the engine has.
    The duramax is the engine that GM has dumped all its money and research into, and the 6.5 just a step child that Gm has to nurse along till they all retire from service.
    check out the www.62-65-dieselpage.com
    they will have any insights as well about these engines.
    Dino

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There are some sick people on that site! A diesel 'Vette???

I quit paying attention to GM's diesels after that converted gas 350 fiasco, but this new Duramax is a diesel!

Is the 6.5 a true diesel or a takeoff on the original GM diesel offering? It still looks like a small block.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The original 6.2 was designed by detriot diesel and produced by GM. The 6.5 is the 6.2 with a different head design, and then finally EFI. The only thing that GM never did was direct inject or intercool the engine, which is why it lacks in power compared to the PS and cummins. However if they had DI and IC that design it would have grenaded. SO rather than try and redesign that engine to compete they teamed with Izuzu and formed the Dura max engine company.
    What irks me as a GM loyalist is that it took so many years to remedy the situation, much like losing so much of the market to ford in the 450/550 area. They now have a truck that competes but still no 4x4 option.
    And after riding in J D's dodge,I can really see what that has to offer. Trucks are so much money now that its hard to believe they as many as they do.
    Dino

7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I thought that the 350 diesel was not a converted gas but rather GM thinking the 350 gas motor was so good lets make one just like it but make it run on diesel. GM likes to keep things the same to share components to keep costs down and parts interchangable.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have both a '97 6.5 and a '95 7.3 and the ford wins for power hands down.But chevy wins for being quiet.And gm did drop the ball for developing a diesel that was good for some time.I't like who do they listen to .Just Dino said about the 450/550 market they took for ever to come up with a good 450/550 truck but they still droped the ball no 4WD in them yet.I think that is what most of the guys buying them want to have,might as well go for like a f650 for the price of one of them.

9. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I agree GM dropped out of the diesel market when Ford intro'd the PowerStroke in 94. They should have done something then not in 01. Now I like my truck 75k on it now and no problems.
    Now the 450 and 550 yes GM dropped it again. I think the 4500 and 5500 are to big. The 450 and 550 are for the user that needs just a bit more than a 1 ton can offer but doesn't want to drive a big truck, and no 4X4 WTF.