1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5L diesel. Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Guys,

Got a question. My cousin called me yesterday saying that he saw a truck for sale. He said it was a 2000 Chevy 2500 ext cab with the 6.5L turbo diesel. The truck is in very good condition and has 96,000 miles on it. How is this engine compared to the Duramax engine? I could use this truck not only for my plowing, but for hauling my camper around as well.

My buddy has a Boss V plow that he said I could buy from him to hang on the front too. He currently has it on a 2000 Chevy 2500 with the 5.7.

Should this be something I take a serious look at? Does anyone know if the 6.5 engines had any trouble? I plan on doing some research on the internet, but you guys are experts on everything it seems, so I figure someone will have some great info.

I have attached 4 pics that he sent me of the truck. I have to go and look at it personally yet. I am being told the guy is asking $11,000 for it.

Jeremy

710539(4).jpg

710539(6).jpg

710539(21).jpg

710539(29).jpg

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The 6.5L engines certainly don't have the punch that the Duramax has, but they are very stout engines. They had some problems in the early years, but the 1995 to 2000 engines have all the bugs worked out of them and will last for a very long time. The only major problem was the ECM overheating due to its location, but GM fixed that in 1998 I think. I think the price is pretty fair for the mileage and how clean the truck looks. That engine (and truck) will get you anywhere, but it might not be quite as fast as the Duramax - but you can beat up on the 6.5 till the cows come home - it's the same engine that is in the military HMMWV (Humvee). If you get it, be sure to add a set of Timbrens to the front end.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Thats WAY too much cash for a 10 yo truck..................PASS!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmmm.......

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

I would agree that $11K sounds high. Granted you can't find an early Duramax with that low of miles. And I haven't seen the rig to judge...

Anyway, the 6.5 is a great motor as long as it doesn't overheat. I know on the earlier ones a lot of guys put bigger radiators in them. I'm also not too familiar with how the auto tranny held up against it. Most of the people I know that have the 6.5 have the manual (but they also don't plow).

There is a place in New York that will re-build the fuel pumps to what GM had intended them to be (and better if you ask) for a really good price, and I hear they make the 6.5 run just shy of a Duramax.

6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search here in the Chevy forums, the 6.5 has been talked about a few times.

The truck looks sharp, but the asking price is high IMO.

7. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

IMO its priced to high. The most common issue with these trucks are the PMD located on the injection pump.

If your seriuos about a 6.5l, im looking to sell mine.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 6.5's. One is a 1999 that I bought new and have had no problems with. The other is a 1998 exactly like the one you pictured. I bought it last year with a 7.5 Western contractor grade with the western wings and 123,000 miles. The truck is loaded with leather. It was also spotless and I paid $8700. $11,000 is way too much but I would buy another 6.5 if I found a good deal.

9. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Well, I am going to go and look at it tomorrow. I called the guy on it over the last couple days and he sounds like he is not going to move at all from his asking price. He just kept telling me that it is way too nice of a truck to sell for much less than he is already putting it on sale for.

We will see what happens.......

Jeremy

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I like 6.5's.........................when they're $5-6k ones. I'd never pay near that for that truck. No matter how nice it is. They are outdated and underpowered. Again, I love 6.5's, but not enough to buy one instead of a newer, better truck. I just sold an 01 Dmax X-cab short bed for $8,200, an 03 with an MVP for $12k. $10-12k nice Dmaxes are available these days quite a bit. Cummins and Pstrokes the same. $11k can buy a better truck IMHO.

11. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Agreed. I have had two, great trucks for my use but not comparable to today's diesels and too much $$.

12. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I've had two of them... I'd turn and run and don't look back !!!!

13. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

how did this turn out???