1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 turbo diesel questions.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LB Landscaping, Jan 13, 2006.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Well I need another truck. I looked at a 1994 GMC 1 ton today with the 6.5 turbo diesel. The truck body/frame is mint, very good condition especially for it age. Engine seems to run strong. The tranny was replaced about 3000 miles ago, brakes all just redone, front end work done recently, and brand new tires. Whats my problem you ask, well the truck has 174,000 miles on it. I have never owned a diesel but have heard how they run forever. Whats forever??? I know it all depends on maintenance but like I said the truck is in VERY good shape so it has obviously been taken care of. I have had two other GMC gas engines run over 200,000 and are still going (I see them around town). Its owned by a mechanic and he's looking asking $7000 (I'm planning on offering considerably less), I looked up BB value and he's not far off. Give me some opinions.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Problems are the injector pumps or the FSD thats on the pump. I would think it's been updated by now with a good one.
    Glow plugs can be an issue if they are neglected and the harmonic balancer should be changed as the rubber ring will rot out and the outer ring will move around some, this will wipe out the crank and block.
    Do a cold start on it overnight and see if it starts easy.
    www.dieselplace.com for all the info you would need

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks Joe, the truck started right up today no problem (but it was almost 50). Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thats, a good truck I see them all over for $7-$10,000. Though I don't think they are worth paying that much for. I don't think id pay more than $5,000 for that truck. Maybe $7,500 if it had Central Hydraulics

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

what is the truck? 4wd? regular or extended cab, SRW or DRW? Only thing you really need to worry about is having a spare PMD (also called FSD) in the glovebox. A lot depends on what configuration the truck is. I would be less inclined to buy a gas motor with that many miles on it, but a diesel should go longer. Also depends on how long you want it to run. 300k is not unheard of, but it's a little unlikely, but 250k is within reach. but is 75k enough for you to get out of it? If you put a lot of miles on you may want to look for something newer. And another thing, if you had to replace the engine its a lot more money than a gas job.

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Its a SRW reg cab 4WD. I'm not going for it I think $7000 is way to high after looking at it closer. The truck is in really good shape, the motor was redone (rings, pistons, gaskets, and a new PMD) last year but the fact is its a 1994 with 174000 miles on it. Just can't see spending the money on a truck with that many miles and almost 13 yrs old.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt give much money for a regular cab anyway. And the pre-97 6.5 had some cooling issues, which is probably why somebody has already had that motor apart. I'm sure it will make somebody a good little truck, but not for $7000. Keep looking, the right truck will turn up. And it will be a Chevy!

8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I thought youwer talking about a dump 4X4. If it's a regular cab SRW, I'd offer like $4000. I'm sure it's a great truck but, ther are too many variables with a truck like that, esp. those "mid-year" trucks where GM hadn't quite figured out the bugs in there electrical systems.

9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Yeah its just a regular cab P/U. Definatly gonna pass on it.