1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 Sno Way for a Dodge Ram?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hoveys Lawn Car, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Hoveys Lawn Car

Hoveys Lawn Car Junior Member

Hi, I had just bought a 6.5 sno way cause I got a pretty good deal on it. I know I should probably go with a 7.5 but a dealer told me I can order just a 7.5 moldboard for it. Can I get by a little while on the 6.5 until can afford the new moldboard?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Certainly, you'll just be driving over snow. Could you put wings on the one you have?

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

The question here is not so much getting by as it is the width of the plow vs. the width of the front of your Dodge Ram.

A 6.5 blade is too small for a full size truck because it will not remove all the snow in your path and you will end up driving over the snow, which is self-defeating. The whole idea with any plow is to not just clear a path, but to clear a path for your plowing vehicle.

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 and my blade is an 8 foot. That's mainly because a 3/4 ton truck can handle the weight of it. But a 1500 usually takes a 7 to a 7.5. The blade you have is for something like an S-10 or a Ranger. I'm not saying you can't use it, you'll just find out it stinks trying to drive over the windrows you're creating with the plow.

4. Hoveys Lawn Car

Im not sure. I don't think they make them for it. It would have to be home made and I wouldn't know where to start.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

6. Hoveys Lawn Car

oh oh thats gonna suck. I wonder what I could use to make some wings for it. My truck Is a 2000 Ram 1500 sport.

7. Hoveys Lawn Car

i would probably have to fab or have it done. Cause mine has the lexan moldboard. I seen somewhere where someone said they drilled over size hole in the lexan, and welded cross support that it was bolted to. That sounds logical cause if there was a larger hole than the bolt in the lexan, it wouldn't endure any impact that would crack it. Anyone have more info or opinions on this?

8. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I got a Snoway 6.8 ST and I got it on a Wrangler, that is a tight fit. When you put the plow on an angle with your truck, forget it, it will not be wide enough. Spend the money for a wider blade and save yourself the time you will spend going over the same ground two times.
    When I get a second car and upgrade my suspesion on my jeep, I am gona get a bigger blade.

9. yeah I got the 6'8'' sno-way for my ranger. It's ok if the blade is straight, but as soon as you angle it, forget it.

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 7.5' snoway blade that I am trying to sell. It has the lexan insert with steel cutting edge. Same problem as you, the 7.5 was too small for my ext. cab long bed truck. If you are interested drop me an email. I know you are a ways away, but maybe the freight wouldn't be too bad. I really just want to get rid of the thing. Nick. I've got pics etc.
    nlkent@adelphia.net