1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5' or 7' plow for a1995 Wrangler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by jeep2001, Nov 11, 2012.

1. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Looking for a plow for my 1995 wrangler with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. I have a 3'' lift and 33'' super swampers on it. I am only doing my own drive way and it is about 300' long. I am not sure that a 6.5' blade will be wide enough when angled to clear my tire tracks? Are these super swampers tires bad for snow plowing? Any help will be great.
    Thanks
    Jeep2001

2. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Your tires should be good to go. If your having any troubles, air them down a little and put some weight in the back. That'll increase the footprint while increasing the psi on the tires.

Plow wise, Im running a 7' Meyer on Wrangler and it just barely covers my tracks when angled. I think 6.5 would be to short. I plow some driveways and a private road so i went ahead and picked up some pro wings to increase my width even more. The Jeep will have no issues pushing it, just take it slow and steady. Do you know what kind of plow your looking to get into?

3. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

I am looking at a meyers plow set up, will the lift kit and taller tires be a problem with the plow not being level? Any other advise would be great? Will I need a bigger alternator and battery?
    Thanks
    jeep2001

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yes supper swampers are terable for plowing (I had a set)

I use 7 1/2 wide plows on my jeeps (i have 3 rite now) I have been plowing for 26 years, using jeep wranglers and always used 7 1/2 blades

If you want to drive out to MA I am selling a COMPLETE setup for 1987 to 1995 wrangler

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/3402849650.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

To far to drive out I am in il.
    Thanks
    jeep2001

6. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

With the lift kit, your plow is going to need some modification to the mounts as the leading cutting edge/trip edge will be cantered to far forward and you could ruin your edge. Plus the plow needs to stay level to ensure that if you hit something then the force gets reverberated back through the plow and into the frame dispersing it instead of just taking the brunt of the force on the cutting edge and plow. Having it set up properly will allow it to run for much longer without stressing the weak points. I have a 4" lift with 33's and I had to custom make my mount.

Unless your running dual batteries or a very high output alternator its almost inevitable at idle that your going to have dimming lights when you activate the plow. Nature of the beast. I upgraded to a AGM Platinum battery from Sears and havent looked back. I have very minimal/non existant draw on the lights now and Im confident that ill never get stuck again with a battery issue. Add additional spot lights/strobes and you'll be happy you upgraded. It's the best $200 Ive spent.

One other tip is the tranny likes to get hot real quick. I plow driveways for 12 people during the winter so I use mine a little more than you would but its best to run the vehicle transfer case in 4 low and run the transmission in a higher gear. On my larger stretches of a private road I do its not unheard of to be running in 3 or 4th gear to keep the RPMs high but also keep the transmission from working to hard. My TC and gearing is a little different than yours dependent on whether yours is stock but it should still work out much better for you in the lower TC range. Also, I run my heater on as close to high as i can stand and keep the windows down. This allows the coolant to stay moving over the top of the motor and dissipate the heat produced from the increased load on the engine a lot better. One other tip to keep temps at bay is to swap the drive train fluids over to synthetic. It helps a lot and nets a better running engine as well.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

He's a 5-speed... that's a manual transmission (Aisin/Toyota AX-15), no torque converter = no heat issue. I'm not sure why you think it would ruin the trip edge? It will trip just as easily when hitting objects. Having it angled down like that will make it scrape really well. Some times too well, if plowing over something soft, like wet gravel.

OP: If you had factory wheels on it, I would suggest 6.5. With the wider setup, you need 7. NOT MORE. 7.5 is definitely way too wide for it. You simply don't have enough weight to push that big of a plow successfully.

8. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks Guys
    Is there another alternator like a 90 or 100 amp I can installed that is not too expensive? Will a 100 amp from a 1990 chevy pick-up work? What is the biggest battery that I will fit in the stock tray?
    Thanks
    jeep2001

9. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

This is simply incorrect information. The transmission heats up during high load situations such as plowing, towing, off roading,etc. I use my Jeep to off road as well and have similar heating symptoms when Im out wheeling, its just the nature of the beast when your using a smaller rig such as a Jeep, to a certain extent. No harm no foul. My transmission got so hot last year that it melted the plastic cup that houses the CPS in the top of the tranny. With the CPS not working, my Jeep would not start and I was stranded after my last driveway of the night. Again, this is at the end of 10 driveways and i was pushing the snow pretty hard. You may not run into this but id rather him be informed that there is the potential rather than throw up a blanket smoke screen that states that with a manual this just wont happen. Not True. Drivetrain components get hot.

My statement about the trip edge/cutting edge wearing more has nothing to do with you hitting things with it, although with too high of an attack angle you could conceivably ruin your plow A-frame. Its the attack angle and how the plow performs. This is the reason most plows/a-frames have different mounting holes to choose from so that your attack angle is correct for your plowing needs. Incorrect attack angle can equal more wear and tear on the cutting edge but it can also allow your plow will start to ride up on the snow more than dig into it if its to low. To high? Ive been there, I have the same setup he does and used the plow for two storms with the plow angled to far forward/attack angle to high. I have a full trip blade and it was constantly tripping as I was basically putting more force towards the top end of the blade and pushing over the top of it rather than using a level a frame which basically puts the same amount of force top to bottom to allow for more efficiency in plowing and less needless tripping of the blade/edge. Your cutting edge will thank you by not having so much force placed upon it at such a tough angle and so wont the rest of your plow. I still suggest a 7'. Add some ballast weight in the back to counter act the weight of the plow and help with traction. She'll plow just fine. I havent had any issue and Plowmeister has an even bigger blade both size and weight wise and I havent heard him complain any.

10. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

You can upgrade your alternator if you so choose but thats going to be just as expensive if not more so than upgrading your battery. You can do a durango alternator for whatever they go for used up to a Mean Green Alternator to the tune of $405. Im not positive on if the Chevy will fit, Im guessing the mounting points are different.
    My battery sits in the stock location and is This one. 880 Cold Cranking Amps and has a 4 year replacement warranty, 8 year pro rated warranty.

11. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Is that durango alt. a bolt in replacment and is the wiring the same? I want to get started on my jeep before the snow comes.
    Thanks
    jeep2001

12. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

13. theplowmeister

from MA

WOW you mean Ive been doing it wrong for 26 years, with 5 Jeeps and my friend too, he has 3 jeeps for 20 years .

Glad you straitened me out, I better go sell my 3 plows and get some narrower ones.

14. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

Thanks for the information on the durango alternator, I will look into that swap.
    jeep2001

15. jasonv

from kannada

I'd love to see you try to plow more than 6 inches of snow... It would be really funny to watch.

16. theplowmeister

from MA

Ive been plowing for 26 years in metro west (Boston) with an average of 70 driveways per storm.

I think Ive seen my share of storms over 6".

17. jasonv

from kannada

That would be when you call for help?

18. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I would go 7' on a YJ, TJ. or XJ.

19. theplowmeister

from MA

never had to.

20. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

I removed the front factory sway bar years ago for off roading, should I put it back on? The springs are very stiff and I dont get any sway out of the jeep at all.
    Thanks
    jeep2001