1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 on a Sonoma ZR2

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ICindrich, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Mounting my new used 6.5 unimount on my sonoma this week! I have to custom fab the truck side mount as western doesn't make one to fit my truck, wondering if any one has any tricks. thanks and i'll post pics as soon as I get it mounted. Oh yeah, the plow is a 2002 and I scored it for $550!!!

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I made the whole mount for my s-10 blazer(1993). They don't make a mount? I belive they do. I think they make one for the s10 they proboly just say not the zr2 because of the increased suspension height but the plow mount will work, you just have to fab up things to lower it. But heres some tips, use at least 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts, and make sure you use strong mount points. I used the 4 bolts that go through the frame and bolt into a large piece of 3/8 inch plate used for the tow hooks, and then the existing bolt holes under the engine crossmember. I've ramed my fair share of banks and curbs and has held up great.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  3. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Thanks Mowerpan, I'm gonna try to find the mount today.

4. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

I had the same situation with my 6.5 Unimount. I originally bought it for my '91GMC Sonoma S-15 and removed it to remount on my '97 S-10 ZR-2. The stock mount on the truck side came close to fitting the ZR-2, but not close enough. I took it to a local welding shop and he added some steel to make it work on the ZR-2 mounting holes, but also to lower the plow as it would been at an incorrect angle since the ZR-2 is much higher than the stock S-15.

I still us it and it works well for me. My only other problem was not having the 12-pin wiring so the DRL's work on the ZR-2 as the S-15 used the 9-pin. No big deal.

5. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

How did you take care of the wire harness problem? I have a perfectly good harness out of a jeep that I would like to modify, but headlights are kinda important for me to be jerry rigging!
    Thanks, Ivan

6. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

The harness came off of a GM and went on a GM of similar type so I knew it would work fine. I needed the 12-pin harness for the DRL's to run and only had the 9-pin. I can either hook up the plow harness headlight setup and do without the DRL's and have the upper plow lights functioning with the plow attached or I could leave the plow harness headlight plugs unattached and do without the plow upper headlights working, but still have the clearance lights/turn signals working on the plow.

I do the latter. I rarely run at night and, when I do, I run the plow low enough that the factory headlights shine over the top of the plow. I would rather have the DRL's working all the time.

7. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

how many relays do you have to your harness? 2 or three?
    thanks Ivan

8. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

Two Relays.