1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 MM won't move

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mainah, Jan 30, 2010.

1. mainah

mainah Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a smaller truck with a 6.5 OLD minute mount on it, it may actually be the 6'9, not positive as its a little dented on the sides, did I mention it was old?

I just got the beater and it would work, but you had to wiggle the 9pin connector every now and then. This morning I went to move it and the plow was DOA. I saw some bare wires on the back of the plow-side pig-tail so figured that was the issue all along. Grabbed one at the local Fisher dealer today and hooked it up and nothing at all would work.

I looked at the wiring and followed it under the hood to 2 square blocks with some nasty looking connections. I wiggled some of those and cleaned them up with some electrical cleaner in a can. At that point I got it to turn once to the right, when I tried to move it left or up it just made noise up front. The head-gear would move slightly and you could feel the truck move slightly. After that I tried to make sure it wasn't frozen to the ground, it wasn't and again it won't move or make any noise up front at all.

I am thinking those little blocks are the issue, they have 5 connections each and all i can read on them is being made in japan and 12v.

I hope its enough to get some help here, not a mechanic but I'll be damned if I pay somebody to replace something before I break it worse.

I was wondering, its about 3 degrees today before windchill, I've read a few posts and it's said the filter could be clogged and freezing if it's very cold. Well I've never bothered having the fluid serviced, was wondering if maybe I toasted the pump? But I'd assume it'd still make noise spinning by itself if that was the case. I never held it for any length, just a second or two.

I think I am on the right track, my question is what do I need to find out on the plow to get a part number for those blocks? And any idea what they will cost or where the best place to get them is?

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have pics.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Those "square blocks" are nothing more than the relays for the plow lamps. They have no bearing on the control functions.

It's either froze up or you have a corrosion/connection issue in the control harness or 9 pin plug.
  4. mainah

mainah Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for letting me know what those were, I just don't understand why playing with them made it work, maybe it was dumb luck.

Like I said I replaced the plow side harness. I know it has to be corroded some on the truck side, I did put quite a bit of that cleaner into the female ends. Any ideas on something to clean up in there? Q-Tips were too big even to fit. Was wondering if the cleaning rod for my AR might work? Figured I'd ask before I break something else.

And no pics right now, its dark. I can probably get a few up tomorrow afternoon.

Was also wondering, is there a way to get the plow up manually? Getting that bear into the flat bed solo may just suck if it needs to be seen by a garage.

Also, is there any schematics available that explain what each color in the harness does? I haven't wrapped it back up yet on the plow side and would be able to toss a volt meter on each lead and be able to tell what was working and what wasn't, could give me a better idea what pin to check on the truck side for obstructions. I know the model would be important, any way to tell that? All the writing is pretty much gone with road-salt as I see it.

Thanks again for anything.

~Edit~ May not be the forum for it, but I do have a picture of the AR, never fired all original Colt AR-15 SP1. If you like a nice truck or plow you can certainly like a nice rifle.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the mechanics guide for the relay SEHP systems. Very helpful info in there so be sure to look over very it closely. SEHP mechanics guide

The only thing not in is the wiring schematics for the relays and truck specific headlamp wiring. To get you those we need to know the truck make, model, and headlamp style (HB1/HB5 etc). May not need it now you you may in the future.

To clean the truck side plug head over to the local grocery store and get yourself a bottle of CLR. The stuff you clean rust stains and such from household appliances. It's basically a diluted muriatic acid and will clean the grill plug up to like new condition simply by immersing them in it for a few minutes, then a good flush with some water.

However if the grill plug is shot internally on the back side of the connector plug it won't fix that. To do so it would need replaced.
  6. mainah

mainah Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the fast response. I've already got a bottle of that, I'll be able to get the truck in the garage tomorrow where its warm enough not to freeze while flushing with water.

The truck is a 91 GMC S15 with a flat bed, and I've already seen it push more snow then the 2500HD with the same BF Goodrich All-Terrain tire style. She may not be big, but she moves what you put in front of her, and you can turn her around in a garage.

I'll also snap a picture of the head lights on it, I noticed one was out and I need to get that fixed. Any idea on a cost for the relays?
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The relays aren't expensive. As little as $5 each depending on where you purchase. A parts store would be less expensive than a plow dealer.

Pics eliminate guesswork. :nod:
  8. mainah

mainah Junior Member
    from Maine

So I found my motor relay, its bad, filter is clogged, lamp relays are gone. Gonna be a bit but that schematic was a HUGE help.

Thanks a ton.

Also, the cutting edge is the polymer, any word on why that and not steel? Needs a new one didn't know why anybody would get a rubber/plastic cutting edge.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some like a poly or rubber edge for certain jobs to better protect the driveway material from damage such as on an ornamental driveway. Brick, stone paver's etc.