1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 Issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dewey, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a 99 GMC with the 6.5 Diesel in it.. I believe my pmd needs to be replace. At onetime I thought I had read that there is a cable that can be plugged into it so that it can be placed further away from the motor to keep it cooler.. I called Diesel preformance here in Maine and they don't think it will help . They did recomend using a cooling plate under it....I have the PMD and the mounting/cooling plate But can't seem to locate where it unplugs from the motor...So I have a couple of questions

1. Do you guys think locating the PMD further away will help ?
    2. Is there a video online or some kind of directions to replace the PMD
    I haven't found anything yet

2. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I think it does work, since a lot of companies sell PMD relocation kits.

3. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

+1 on relocating the PMD. Ideally, mount it on a heatsink as well. The harness extension simply plugs into the connector near the injection pump, then you run it to wherever the PMD will be relocated to. Many mount it behind the front bumper near one of the 4x6 holes. The extension cables are usually 6' long which is more than enough.

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Yup pmd relocate works,

We tried the move to top of engine with a heatsink, still got heat soaked on that short runs, it's now located in the front bumpers nostril still attached to a heatsink of course and it never gets hot, it's a sealed unit so water/snow is not an issue.

I can't remember which online place I bought the cable from, but there are lots of them, not even that hard to make your own either, as long as you can get the connectors.

6. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Heath Diesel

Check out heath diesel. They specialize in gm diesel's.:mechanic: