1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 Foot Plow on 1/2 Ton

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by fedspunisher, May 13, 2008.

1. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Is there any reason for not doing this? It seems like it would be more versital and be less stress on the truck. This will mainly be for my personal driveway and that of neighbors and family. When a 6 1/2 blade is angled is it still wider than the tracks on a 1/2 ton??

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think there would be issues with the plow not covering tracks when you turn etc... I would think there is a way to get one though!

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I am not sure a 6.5 would be wider STRAIGHT let alone angled. I have a 7.5 on a 1/2 ton and on a average turn my rear tires get in the snow. I am in the middle of adding wings to help with that and other issues. But I think your right on the stress and easy in and out of drives!!! It will just take more passes. Good luck:salute:

4. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

I guess i will just measure my tracks and see.

Thanks for the responces.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll work for your intended purpose if your not in a hurry. I started with an old 3/4 ton and a 6.5 plow.

But I never could keep mirrors on it until I went to a wider blade. :D

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  6. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Did you have trouble with tires tracking outside the plow width?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

During a turn...absolutly.

The reason I mentioned it will do the job only if your not in a hurry. Need to make extra passes for the additional cleanup along the edges. Gaining width by straightening the blade out a little during turns helps some.

But while traveling straight ahead the narrow width isn't a big issue.

8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

What he said!!!

Don't be afraid of it, different plow do different things well.

Small plows = good for drives, places where getting in and out is hard
    V=good for stacking, clean up, tight spots, busting drifts
    Wide straights= moving a bunch in one pass

9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if you want a 6.5 go for it. but i would recomend a 7.5 foot. its not like it will be on there all the time. so the extra wieght isnt going to make that much of a difference in wear. JMO

10. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

I ended up buying a 1978 3/4 Ton chevy the reverse is out of it and the guy said the brushes are going out on the plow motor. It was $500 HECK of a good deal. I believe its a 7.5' Meyers. Anyone got a good pump motor?