1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 diesel what should i look for

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vortec5.7, Nov 14, 2010.

1. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

hey guys im looking at my first diesel 1 ton dump its a 97 with a 6.5 i dont no alot about that motor is there anything i should look for thats problematic besides the injector pump and the turbo on thoes. please no chevy haters bashing on it wesport

2. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

The PMD also goes bad on some of those. Replace and/or relocate to a cooler place.

3. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

oil cooler lines are known for leaking (theres a fix for that), water pump, check the tranny dipstick the fluid should be brown, but not burnt. generally they are really good trucks I had a lot of good luck with mine it never left me stranded anywhere unfortunately the rest of the truck was falling apart around the drivetrain. check out this site there is a lot of good info on there!

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391426

4. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

thanks and i think im gonna be on diesel place all night now great site

5. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

Relocate the pmd, And the oil pressure sensor could go on you, and its a pain to replace.

6. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

what is the stock location and where should i relocate it 2

7. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Stock location is on the side of the injection pump. There is a kit to move it from the side of the pump to either the top of the intake or on the fender well. I like leaveing the stock one injection pump and getting another then mount that on the relocation bracket. That way if the one on the pump or relocation go bad just switch the plug. Like they said the oil cooler lines but there is a kit for that also that replaces the lines with stainless steel lines that don't leak. The other thing is the lift pump on the frame rail those like to go out. The biggest problem with 6.5 is the heads almost always crack and begin to eat coolant or blow smoke.

8. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Oh ya one way to make the pmd live alittle longer is remove the cover from the intake that says 6.5 it will let the hot air out easier.

9. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

i heard the exhaust is very restrictive on the 6.5 also i was thinking of doing a 4" turbo back with a aftermarket muffler (mufflers only so i can stand driving it at 1 am). my dad was a gm mechanic he also said gm never had a set of oil cooler lines that didnt go so i am expecting to do them. thank you all for the quick replies

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

careful with the oil cooler end of the oil lines, flimsy plastic will snap and then you get to buy a whole new cooler. I wouldn't worry too much about the injector pump, it's usually the PMD that goes. Buy a new DiPaco PMD and put it in the glovebox. They're cheap now. When it starts stalling on you you can plug in the other one to get home. The relocation kit works best if you get it out of the engine compartment altogether, mine is behind the front bumper, with part of the finned cooler sticking out into the bumper nostril so air goes across it. Relocating it under the hood doesn't solve the problem. It isn't engine heat that kills them, they make their own heat and it needs to be removed. Factory design has the fuel flow removing heat, but when you shut the engine off it spikes. I had a remote under the hood that died after a couple years. Put it outside the engine bay and it's been fine for years.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the overheating either, in 97 and later they had a much improved cooling system, with a two thermostat system one to cool each head, instead of one first then the other, which let the second head get cooked. Better water pump and fan also.
    Haven't heard about many turbo failures, but the factory ones are tiny, made to get it going quick then it runs out of steam. I upgraded to an A-Team Turbo, really woke the truck up, plus it is better for the engine because you don't superheat the intake air charge like you do with the little one. No need for an intercooler with an ATT.
    Exhaust is going to be your biggest bang for the buck. My stock one was 2.75 inch, with a "converter" that's nothing more than a soot trap, once it plugs up it's strangling the motor. And the factory turbo downpipe is pre-crushed for ease of engine installation. You can get a brand new Warpspeed or Diamondeye complete 4 inch exhaust with downpipe for $300, sounds great and lets the motor breathe. Dieselplace is good, but in recent years many of us regulars have migrated over to thetruckstop.us. Same folks and great info, little more laid back attitudes. 6.5 is really a great motor, regardless of what the common perception is.

11. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

check out ss diesel supply for a really nice PMD heat sink. I have dealt with them a lot as they are headquartered only a few miles from my house. Like others have said, the 6.5 is really a great reliable workhorse and will last a long time. I am kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of mine, I've had more problems in the first month I've owned my 6.0 gas Chevy than I ever did with my old 6.5 diesel.

12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't want to start anything, but in the ten years or so I've been in the 6.5 community and belonged to some different forums, I have repeatedly heard bad things about SSdieselsupply. Everyone agrees Walt is a nice guy, but numerous people have had a lot of problems with his products and his ideas about the 6.5. I don't want to throw stones, but what I would do is hit up some of these forums and do some searches to find out what people are saying. I don't deal with him because of things I've heard. I can vouch for Heath Diesel Power and Walking J. Patrick from Walking J is great, and he can get Heath stuff in addition to A-Team turbos and Kojo tuned computers.