1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 diesel problems , tech help needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sealer People, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

HI everyone,

I own a 1996, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 diesel. 350,000 kms.
    Changed the injection pump on it about a year ago becuase she was stalling out on me.

My issue.... ever since we changed the pump, 6 - 7 months went by & it starting stalling out on me again on the fall months. The engine light comes on after it stalls out, she starts right back up no problem, I hear that the engine sounds a little louder but she still goes fine but she'll stall every now & again.

The mechanic had me change the fuel lines, that didnt solve anything
    Then they told me they needed to put more grounds in, that didnt help
    He changed the driver module, that hasnt helped
    Finally he just changed the wiring harness to the module & said that was problem & that didnt solve the problem.
    The scanner tells him its the injection pump, but what else could it be ?
    I dont think he wants to change the pump.

I feel bad for the guy as hes putting a load of time into this but at the same time, I spent over $2000.00 on this ,,,,not to mention all the other work & money Ive spent.

Since these problems started, its been over a year & Im not sure if theres a warranty on Kilometers etc.,,, I need some advice on this one.

They had told me that a sensor was telling the pump that water was getting in the fuel & thats what he said they were going to change,, however, when I got the truck back he mentioned that they were told by the manufacturer of the pump to only replace the wiring harness.

Any help at all, tips, advice. things to look for '????
    I'll print them out for him to read.

I want to keep the truck as a back up, she runs great except for this problem & Im afraid when the weather gets warmer, this problem is going to get worse.
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Find out if he relocated the PMD. (pump mounted driver)

These trucks are known for having a problem just like you discribe. You have to use a known good PMD, with a 6ft extension harness and move the PMD up to the grill. If you are still using the PMD in the stock location, if you change it, it is not a question of if it will go bad, it is a question of when it will go bad again.
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Yes just like Phillbilly said. Im still using 3 6.5s two of em I moved the solenoid/PMD away from its original position. Both are mounted in the cab on the side of the bucket seat. The one I use for long hauling in the summer has a electric fan blowing of it to keep it even cooler. Move that unit.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Also check the optical sensor near the pump. If the sensor cant see clear enough through the fuel it will shut off.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You should have it outside it gets HOT that's why you want to remove it from the pump. You should put it behind the bumper or by the battery just somewhere in the airflow. The OP said the PMD was replaced, the oil pressure sensor will shut it off. Go to Diesel Place and fill out the 6.5 check list those guys know their stuff
  6. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Check the lift pumps,
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

check 6.5 forum on thetruckstop.us. Most of the guys there migrated from another big diesel forum. I have owned a 6.5 for ten years now, best truck I ever owned. Just bought another one actually. It sounds like PMD to me too. Get a known good one, harness and cooler and put it behind the bumper, mines in the bumper hole backwards so the air hits the edge of the finned cooler. Been there for years now. Vendors on either site mentioned sell the harness kits, or try ebay. And you can install it yourself, you dont need to give the mechanic any more money.