1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.5 Diesel plow truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Aug 24, 2007.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I have an opportunity to buy a '97 GMC Sierra 2500 diesel, 4x4, ext. cab, leather int. The engine was recently rebuilt (25k miles ago). I'm hopefully going to take a look at this truck this weekend. What should I look out for? Should I not consider this truck at all and just get a cummins or powerstroke?
    Thanks.

p.s. its for sale for $7k OBO

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would run...some guys love them but in my mind the 6.5 is a POS from the start I would stick to a cummins or powerstroke

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I don't know about the whole rebuild part, and that would be something I would be wondering about, when considering. However we have 2 of the 6.5 turbos. and they are great trucks for us. Both haul skid steers all summer, and both plow all winter.
    ones a 93 ones a 99. And other then common repairs and such. no problems *knock wood*

4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

this engine reminds me of the 6.0 PSD....
    I'll take a look at it to see what condition the body, suspention, rust, etc.

we'll have to see....

5. cub1281

cub1281 Junior Member

not a bad truck

I Run A 97 3500 With A 6.5 It Always Has An Equipment Trailer On It And Other Than The Fuel Pump It Has Been A Good Truck