1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.4 powerstoke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jdknight75, May 21, 2010.

1. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

I was wonder what you guys thought of the 6.4, I am looking at an 08 with one. I know the 6.0 had problems and know the 7.4 was a good one but I don't know the 6.4 was I know they just replaced it with the new powerstroke any thoughts appreciated I don't want to pay 35000 for a piece of junk

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I don't have one so but do own a 6.0, no problems with it. its all stock. The guy I plow with has one the only thing he complains about is fuel economy is way worse than his old one (6.0). Heard some guys having particulate filter problems but not directly from an owner so take it for what its worth. That is one thing about the 6.0s they don't have all the emission crap that 08s and newer ones have. My 2 cents.

3. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

I have an 08, JOB 1, 6.4. No problems. I do not use it for plowing, I use it for pulling. The bad milage thing is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. These trucks preform as they were built to. They will pull a given load and get to speed and you'll barley feel it back there. Trade off is milage is not as good as the 7.3 or 6.0.
    You have to take into account that both of those motors were designed in a completely different era (read that as E.P.A. requirements).

4. Propony

Propony Member

I have an 08 and 10 with the 6.4 and never had any issues with either one, use them both for plowing and pulling large loads....best trucks I have ever owned.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I have a 6.0 and only one thing has been replaced, and that's the alternator. Plowing did put a beating on it

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a job 1 2008 (Built December 2006) and had nothing but problems with it, injector issues, no power, etc... turns out it was a lemon from Ford.

That being said I think that Ford builds a great truck and would consider buying another one that was built later in production

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Would you ever buy anything other than exmark?

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What does exmark have to do with the 6.4 psd?

9. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

well thanks for the help guys i bought an 08 6.4 with 4000 miles on it. i cant beleive how they cram that engine in there. i was looking at it today and cant even find the oil filter i guess im an idiot.

10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

They are packed in there that is for sure! I think there is very little that doesn't require a dealer to work on it...

I have been thinking on getting a 2010 F-350 and giving another one a try, I loved the truck!

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

well thanks for the help guys i bought an 08 6.4 with 4000 miles on it. i cant beleive how they cram that engine in there. i was looking at it today and cant even find the oil filter i guess im an idiot.

Oil Filter is on top of the motor, just about dead center.

The Dealers lift the cab off the chassis to do any real work, I've seen this done and it's pretty amazing, it takes them less than an hour to do.

I went from a '00 7.3PSD to my 08 6.4PSD, both trucks with 4:10's and a 6spd manual, the 7.3 pulled harder out of the hole than the 6.4 does. I drove a 6.4 with a auto and its a completely different beast, I'm convinced the 6.4 was built and tuned to run with a auto.
    Mileage wise I'm averaging 15.5mpg tooling around and 18mpg on a long distance highway run. This is about the same as I was getting with my 7.3.