1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.4 Power Stroke Hissing Noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jbell36, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i have a 6.4 with 112,000 miles on it and about a month ago i felt like i heard more of a hissing noise coming from it when i was coming out of my house and it was just at idle...yesterday i had a guy look at it real quick and he said he thinks it's an exhaust leak, possibly something with the turbo...haven't noticed much of a loss of power but it does seem louder when you pop the hood and listen to it, it also seemed like there were quite a bit of fumes up there...any other ideas or is this something common with the 6.4?

i imagine my DPF filter is plugged up because it has never actually worked correctly, possible not helping the situation, so it's about time to delete and spartan tune...

2. Delete it and put on new intercooler boots along with turbos boots and go from there. It could be a down pipe leak also

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

is it modded in any way ? if you have the SCT tuner you can check the obd port for codes . sounds to me like an exhaust/turbo issue . check all clamps before and after turbos , should be two on that model .

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

it's all stock right now...going to be doing the spartan tune, maybe sooner than later now...i'm not real familiar with piping tho...there are kits that offer turbo back pipe or simply down pipe back, which is better? they are both offered in 4 or 5"...if there is a hole in the down pipe i will probably go ahead and get the whole package (that also includes the egr delete and intake) and swap everything out...those packages can get very pricey tho, almost $2,000 for the entire kit...thoughts on this?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. Spool it up

for about 2500 you can have a race truck that runs 15's . You'll need an SCT tuner with custom tunes , AFE Cold Air Intake and Magnaflo 5'' Stainless steel exhaust .

Dont stop there , ARP headstuds are like 500 w/o installation so it'll be bulletproof when you tickle the skinny pedal .You'll have them twin screws whisling dixie.
    http://innovativediesel.com/c-75806-diesel-products-ford-6-4l-powerstroke-2008-2010.html

6. Evil PSD

Evil PSD Member

Are you gettin exhaust smell in the truck? Check the up pipes they tend to crack Thumbs Up

7. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

not familiar with the up pipes...i will check that out

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Did you have the truck last winter and it was diffrent ? It sounds to me its part of the cold warm up cycle . It closes something to help put load to the motor to aid warmup , Iv never owned a 6.4 but have had a fue 7.3s and a 6.0 that did that.

9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

it's not that but that is a very good diagnosis to be honest, i prob wouldn't have thought of that especially for not owning a 6.4...yes, i've had the truck since 2010 so i know what it sounds like at high idle...it's definitely something with exhaust, it's looking like the down pipe from what we can see so far...it's simply just a higher flow of air, no other noise, and it reflects off the ground which amplifies the issue...it is a job 1 truck and it does look like these had that issue with the down pipe after doing a lot of research on it last night

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  10. Spool it up

do you have access to an (obd) on board diagnosis scanner? most manual tuners can check if any codes are popping up . If so I can decipher the codes and tell you .

11. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

powerstrokehelp.com, or check out his youtube channel, he has a lot of videos about powerstrokes. the dpf is crap, if its clogged the engine will go into regen, and on the down stroke it puts fuel in 7-8 cylinders, and that damn heat goes right into the turbo

12. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Wat it sounds as tho ur hearing is an up pipe bellow... Have U checked ur turbo up pipe?? (the flex pipe) they r very prone to going bad around the flex joint, witch ends up with a minor crack in it usually that tends 2 result in a unusual or higher pitched whistling sound.
    Usually the driver side flex pipe is the 1 that U get more of a whistle from.. My buddy was building the chit outta his 08' n actually had this exact problem, his cure was (jus upgrade!) lol thats his answer to everything!!

13. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Another GREAT investment for ANY powerstroke is a scanguageII! Keeps tabs on any and all sensors in the engine! Very cost effective upgrade, runs roughly bout $160ish from auto zone

14. Spool it up

echo's .

15. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i ordered the entire kit from spartan today...and it was only $2,000!!!(sarcasm)...if the truck throws a code will the spartan dashdaq be able to tell me what's going on? to put it simply, is it basically a OBD scanner?

also, there is no high pitch noise or anything...it basically sounds like turbo on steroids, like as if i spooled up the turbo and it never spooled back down, only the truck was at idle...it's just sounds like a rush of air, didn't look at it for very long but couldn't find/feel any air anywhere...it's just loud outside of the truck and when you pop the hook

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  16. Spool it up

17. Spool it up

reminder .

18. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

while doing research on the 6.4 tune/delete the consensus was spartan, hands down...therefore i didn't really consider anything else...i have definitely heard a lot about SCT specifically this Eric guy at Innovative though

19. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

Very good choice my friend!! Also U can always upgrade it down the road to the live wire if thats something U would like to do.? If U havent chosen a place for Ur custom tunes yet, as stated above deff. talk 2 Eric at Innovative GREAT guy 2 deal with and he knows his chit!
    As 4 the noise Ur hearing.. does is ever sound almost like a deep owl type sound in a hallway at times?? Or any noises of the sort when U spool up turbo n let off throttle completely, (jus coasting)???

20. Spool it up

why not upgrade now ? why spend twice > just curious