1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.4 any good?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Can-Boy, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Hi guys I need some feedback on 6.4 diesel. I have a2004 6.0 it is great.But now I'm looking at a 2006 6.4.I have heard about bad head gaskets and bad milage.But want to hear from the guys that run them.
  2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

06 is the 6.0.

08-09 is the 6.4

Haven't heard about head gasket issues with the 6.4 though. I have a couple of friend with 6.4s and they like them.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

^^^what he said^^^

2006 had the 6.0 diesel in it....and ny then they worked out a lot of the problems the 03/04 6.0's had in them...For 6.0's 05-07 are the best chioces.

I've also heard the 6.4 is sweet...all kinds of power, but bad in mileage.
  4. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Thanks for the replies but truck is already sold.I didnt act fast enough.
  5. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

It's a good truck! :nod: Just under 40,000 on my 6.4 and not one problem with it yet. (knock on wood).
  6. Twix

Twix Junior Member

I have 51k miles on my 08 6.4. Its been in for a busted radiator hose clamp and thats it. It pulls like a freight train and rides great. I get approx 15 mpg highway, 11ish in town, and 7-9 towing/plowing. I'd buy another 6.4 in a second. :D
  7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I guess if you can live with the poor fuel mileage. They are on the good and the bad list. You get a good one your golden. But if you get a bad one eehhh. Sorta like another motor we all know. The Cadilac 4100 in the early 80's. LOL bet you though a 6.0 bash was coming