1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.2l ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JCPM, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Im looking at purchasing a new 2011 f350 supercab pickup with a 6.2l gas motor and putting a 8.2 ft boss plow on it. I would be mainly using it for towing my skidsteer and having it as a backup to my 05' f350 mason dump. does anyone know anything about this motor. I've heard alot of hearsay that its pretty baddass but don't know anyone who actually owns one. Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

There are a couple threads on this subject. I own an 11' F350 single cab single wheel w/ 6.2 and Blizzard 8611lp. Has a ton of power. I'm very happy w/ the ability to scoop and push snow pretty much as far as I want w/ the exception of this last 12" storm we got. I run w/ a skid of salt in the back and the truck sits level (w/ the plow on.) Averaging 8.5mpg for plowing all winter. That's plow, salt, shovel, etc. Pretty much running from the start of the storm. Took a trip for 500 miles at 75-80mph empty and got 11.5 mpg.

I have recently started to hear a ticking in the driver's side of the engine like a lifter but it begins and stops instantly and lasts about a minute or so. Almost as though something is initiating the noise, not a noisy lifter. I have to take it in and check it out when I get a break but haven't had a chance w/ all the snow yet.

A few things I like.
    electric locking differential
    Upfitter switches
    Exhaust on the 6.2 is bad ass for a stock truck. Sounds great!

I plow most of the time in 2wd w/ the differential locked. W/ the weight of the salt it works great.
    I am overall happy w/ the decision on the 6.2 but time will tell.
  3. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Ford 6.2L Gas

This engine is awesome in my opinion. I, like many others had made the switch to Gas many years ago when the Diesel option just wasn't cost effective any longer.

The previous gas engine was actually pretty good as well, but this new one is fantastic. You've got the power of the previous V10 without the gas sucking downside of it.

Plowing is great, and allot of times with about 400lbs of salt bags in the back you could plow in 2WD.

Towing was awesome as well. Here is a quick pic of a previous '05 Gasser towing my 30' boat.

4. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks guys....I just need to find the right color and bed size. Cause of the snow there's not many supedutys left here in CT.
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I drove a crew cab 6.2 for an entire weekend and it was a great motor. It definitely has a different powerband than the 5.4/6.8 V10 and is a much higher revver. I think its very similar to the HEMI in its powerband in that it really gets moving in the higher RPM's. The new 6speed auto does a great job getting it moving in the low end as well, so there is really no lacking in torque. I think you'll be very happy with the 6.2.