1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.2L Programmer Who has one and What is it?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Antlerart06, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well My father just bought a 2015 F350 Chassis 6.2 with 3.73 and He went that way thinking he would get better MPG then my 2015 Chassis with 4.30 gears

I get 11.5 on Hwy He showed 12.5 Coming home with it
    So He told me look for programmers So I'll start here see what ppl thinks of them and what brands are good

Always ran Edge in the 7.3 But they don't offer it for 6.2L everything else just not the 6.2 or Im not looking right

2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Took a few thousand miles on my F250 for the gas mileage to get a little better.

http://www.5startuning.com/product-category/2011-2014-ford-super-duty-6-2l/

I don't have any of their gear, but these guys seem to better of the Super Duty tuners out there.

I'm waiting till my warranty is up before I start mucking with the truck... Hate to have a multi-thousand dollar repair just to hear I voided my warranty with a tuner.

3. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I run SCT tuner for diesel. I'm sure there's an SCT available for gas 6.2 also. Custom tunes are great!

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

After reading a lot of ford-trucks forum, it seems like the five star tunes make a really big difference in performance

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yup, 5 star is the go to guys for ford gas tunes.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I got the SCT Tuner for my 2006 F350 5.4l - makes it run better and increased the mileage from about 7.5 to about 9 mpg (not my daily driver - just short trips and plowing, but haven't plowed with the tuner yet).

Decided to get a tuner for my 2011 F350 6.2l. Really no changes to that after it was installed. I don't notice any change in the performance, and the mpg did not change.

That's what I kind if expected though, as the 2011 6.2l runs nice anyway (especially compared to my 5.4l)

7. Antlerart06

That's what I found out from another guy in town with 6.2 it didn't increase his MPG He has the 5 Star

What are you getting with your 6.2 MPG and what gears you have

8. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

The 5 star tunes can get past the 4k throttle body limit, making you a bit more power down low. That is the big draw I see to putting a tuner behind these 6.2's.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Average mpg now is about 10.9. Gears are 3.73.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone that tells you a tuner increases MPG is fulla chit.

Don't waste the money or fawk with the warranty. Leave it stock. It's a big heavy truck with a big engine. It gets what it gets.

11. trevier

trevier Senior Member

couldn't have said it any better my friend. You want mpg buy a prius.

12. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Ha ha ha that was funny John Deere! I can't speak for gas trucks but diesel definitely gains MPG. I went from 16-17 to 20-21 on highway with a hot tune.

13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Diesels gain mileage and huge power with tuning.. naturally aspirated gas trucks, not so much.

14. Antlerart06

That sucks if running a chip in it
    I did that tonight pulling my 22ft GN empty I have 4.30 gears it bounce between 10.5-10.8 I pulled it 30 miles Then with a Car coming back 30 miles was showing 9.2-9.5 This running at 65 mph

15. Antlerart06

In Tow mode in a 7.3 F350 never gained mileage But the horse power was crazy
    Traded it in for this 6.2 Before we left town I removed the chip put it back to stock It didn't drive the same
    It may not been smart thing to do getting a 2nd 6.2 truck But that diesel would sit a lot only used it to plow and pull the 38ft GN and think only used the 38ft trailer maybe 4 times this year plus its 99 with 100k body was in great shape but the frame was getting bad with rust from just sitting to much
    The trailer is up for sale going Down size to a 28 ft

16. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

The 5 star is really popular but dont expect any gains in mpg.

17. John_DeereGreen

Sorry, at least Dodge and Ford diesels don't gain MPG when tuned. Think as you wish, we track MPG religiously down to the tenth of MPG for each truck. Driver differences change MPG more than stock to tuned. Not one of our trucks went up when the tuner went on, and it doesn't matter who's driving or how they drive it.

I drive like an 80 year old grandpa, our operations manager drives like a 16 year old that just got his license. Guess what, same truck same loads same tune, I gained .8 MPG over him on a month test of me driving, then him. Set it to stock...guess what, that same .8 MPG held true.

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Tuning makes a dramatic difference I don't know what tuners your running, the hotter the tune the better on fuel, don't set it for economy or tow, set it to performance, but then keep your foot out of it

19. John_DeereGreen

Smarty UDC on the 05 and 04 Dodges, EFI Live on the 07 and 08. The 6.4 Furds both have Gearhead tunes. If you're trying to improve milage, the gains aren't there.

20. Antlerart06

I see set for performance So can you tow in that mode ???:nono::nono:
    My trucks tows more then just driving it
    I bought a personal truck it has a I4 motor in it I get great mpg

Say you plow snow in performance mode