1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.2L High miles question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sawboy, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Hey fellas. I am thinking of picking up a used truck instead of hanging a plow on mine. That way business stays business and personal stays personal. I am a Ford guy, and always have been. However I have heard a lot of people talk about the 6.2L Diesel being a good dependable engine that gets great economy.

So I ask the Chevy populace here for opinions and thoughts. Here is the truck in question:

http://www.rondotrailer.com/commerce/item/index.php?departmentID=1&parentID=37&itemID=4355

I think it can be had for a good price, especially if I tell them I want to buy a plow at the same time. It has 260k miles though.

Thoughts please.......

2. Sawboy

Anyone? Bueller?

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

You can find something better for probably the same price. Remeber that truck is 19 years old.

4. Sawboy

Possibly. But I am more concerned about the engine right now.

5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The ad I'm looking at doesn't list a price, but I've seen trucks for sale there that seem waaayyy overpriced. I hate being that guy that chimes in without any specific info, but I'll bet you can find a truck with a plow that doesn't have 200k and a rareish motor (yes, I'm sure they made millions of these, but they aren't around every corner). Just a thought, but I'm sure there's the same truck a tried and true 350in it somewhere nearby. Oh, there's a 99 F250 for sale if you're interested too. Real nice...

6. Sawboy

Ok. The truck price is a little high, but I think with a plow and light purchase, I can get the whole deal at the right price. As far as finding something nicer, pickings are slim in the Chicagoland area. People here have "muscle car syndrome". In other words, any old car, or in this case, any 3/4 ton truck with a plow is worth a million dollars. I'd love to find an F250 with a plow on it. Like I said, I'm a Ford guy from the get-go.

7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I know what you mean about plows, especially after the last two decent winters. There are usually a ton of equipment deals to be found over the summer here, but stuff's still selling for winter prices right now. I mentioned the F250 because I'm selling mine (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103577). Even if you buy the plow, you'll still end up paying more for the truck than one that's already setup. It's almost always more expensive to set a truck up than it is to buy one ready to go. Also, you'd probably have to plan on being the last owner of that truck as it probably won't be worth much, well, even now. Good luck though and let me know if you have any interest in the F250.