1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.2 wouldn't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SNOWPIMP, Jan 7, 2004.

SNOWPIMP Member

Ok here is the problem I got an 87 burban with a 6.2 in it! I had it plugged in for about 30 mins the temp was about 11 out! I went out to see if we had enough to push check my lots and whatnot! when I tried to start it it cranked but didn't fire and my glow plug light wouldn't come on! At first I thought it was just the light but nope didn't fly!
    I then used an old trick I used when I repo semi's in 40 below weather I took a hair dryer and stuck it in the intake within 30 seconds I was off and running! As soon as it started the light for the glow plugs came on! I am thinking of doing My usual trick and bypass the computer by putting a push button on the solenoid!
    Does any one know how long would be too long to hold the button in and glow plugs on at one cycle!
    My 5.7 GM's I know can take 7 seconds also my 6.9 and 7.3 fords can take 7 seconds! I found that out by taking them out and testing them!

2. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

Don't mean to tout another board but check the link below. There is a section on the 6.2's (non-turbo). They gave me a lot of help on my 82 6.2 and there is a lot of posts about glow plugs. There are plugs available that will burn a lot longer than 7 seconds without burning out. I have a manual setup on my 6.2 and you don't have to hold them for many seconds all at once. Cycle them. Burn for 7-8 secs then off for a few seconds and then on again. That's what the controlers do as I understand.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have had diesals for years and it's usually all or nothing problems limited to the following big ticket items: glow plugs, injectors or the dreaded injector pump.