1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.2 diesel plow rig

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Twizzle, May 29, 2014.

1. Twizzle

Twizzle Junior Member

Hello all....looking for a little input. Currently I plow with a 1997 2 dr tahoe with a fisher MM1 and it all works great. I have the opportunity to get a 1990 6.2 diesel suburban 2500 from a friend. He's pretty meticulous with the maintenance of his trucks. He had the engine and tranny rebuilt. Does anyone have experience plowing with a 6.2 if so what are your thoughts. What plow would be good for this truck. I am familiar with the blind spot issues with using a suburban but any further input anyone can give is appreciated. Thanks.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I can only say I would never back up seven years for another plow vehicle. I know others will disagree and then there's the whole gas vs. diesel thing, but for me, I'd never back up seven years. Not to mention the difference in turning radius between the two vehicles and getting in and out of tight spots. Unless you're plowing nothing but parking lots, I think that vehicle would be a pain in the ass to plow with.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A 6.2 is, compared to most diesels, dead simple and reliable. Gutless (somewhere between a 305 and a 350 for power) but more than enough to push snow with. Remember, my one ton K35 went for years with an old carbed 305 in it pushing snow...

As for turning radius etc. it has a shorter wheel base than a regular cab pickup with a similar overall length, so it should turn tighter. Once you learn to reverse with your mirrors (a necessity in trucks like mine with a dump box and salter etc) you will find the truck is a piece of cake to plow with... it's only a few feet longer than a Blazer!

4. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

No need to fear the 6.2-I have 4 of them with plows. They seem to plow better than a similar gasser (use less throttle to do the same thing) and get double the fuel mileage of the same truck with a 350, dependent on driving style of course.