1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0litre gasser question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Nov 5, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Got a 6.0L in a 02 Chev 2500HD. Everything is great but a hint of an antifreeze leak when hot. The resivoir goes down about a quart per 800miles. Any one run into this before??

Not over worried but like to know where to start looking. For I have crauled under the truck and looked everywhere but to no prevail. Not smoking white, no drips of green, no loss in a pressure test but definitely a sweet smell when hot.

Thanks for your thoughts

DAFF

2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

leak

sometimes that happens when the water pump is leaking but it burns off before you see it

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Looked the water pump over in the past, no stains and no wierd noises. Smell seems to be stonger at the mid section of the truck. Though it might be a weak head gasket or intake manifold?? Any thoughts??

DAFF

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

ya, i got the same thing in my 02. the low coolant light went on the other day so i topped it off again. hasnt came on again, but what is this sweet smell u are talking about? I smell something like melting plastic sorta...

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Look over all the rubber hose connections first at the radiator, heater core and the ones to the coolant tank on the inner fender..if they all look good, crawl under the truck and look up at the back of the motor on the back of the cylinder heads. The 6.0's have a small coolant cross over line that goes from one head across the engine over to the other head. They also have the same thing at the front of the heads too that you can see a little better if you want to see what your looking for. They're a little hard to see but if you look with a light, and sometimes a mirror you can see them both. They have a habit of leaking where they connect to the head so you might want to check the rear one especially since you mentioned that the smell seems to come from near the center of the truck. They use an O-ring seal against the head that sometimes leak, but the steel banjo end on the line will also crack where it's connected to the line.

BTW, theirs no coolant flow thru the intake on the 6.0's so it can't be an intake leak. In fact, that's why they use the external coolant cross over lines..they're the highest point of the cooling system on the engine, and since theirs no coolant in the intake..any trapped air in the system is removed thru the crossover lines.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. B&B helped me out with diagnosing mine (work truck '02 2500) doing the same thing. Turned out to be the water pump gasket against the timing cover.

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Yep, needs the seal between the water pump and the block. Not leaking too bad now how long before it gets bad? Think it will make it till spring?? Need to replace the compressor pump for the AC. Plan on doing it after the winter salt and grime. So thinking on tearing the front of the motor off in the spring and fixing it all. Will keep my eyes on the coolant level.

Thanks for all your help

DAFF

8. Let's see now.....Windsor, Ontario. I think it snows there and is probably colder than....well you know. I'd fix it now for the price of a gasket instead of waiting six months for something bigger to happen. JMHO.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's leaking now, it will only get worse on a 6.0.:nod:

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Do it now! If your luck is like mine it will completely go during a storm.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Ya I know how my luck is.Just don't look forward to pulling the front of the motor appart. It doesn't look like any fun. Has anyone done one recently?? Any tricks or is it a strait forward R&R.

by the way Great diagnostic you guys!!!!
    DAFF

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're easier than most things to change the pumps on.. the gaskets are actually a rubber coated metal setup so it makes cleaning up the mating surfaces easy also... The only tool you may not have is a wrench big enough to remove the fan clutch from the pump but some parts stores will loan you the wrench.

Don't forget to install the thermostat and the housing on the new pump...

Might want to do a coolant flush on it too while you have the pump off..

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Hey B&B have you run into many compressor pumps going bad on the ac system. Mine still blows ice cubes but make tons of noise. Hoping to just change the front of the compressor (pully and bearings), any thoughts.

DAFF

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some but not any more than any other truck... many times on the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0's it's the tensioner pulley bearings that fail first, since the A/C compressor has it's own belt and tensioner, and since the tensioner is mounted lower under the engine it seems to get most of the crud and slush from the road which of course will wipe the tensioner bearings out a lot faster than if it was mounted higher on the engine.

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

I put a new tensioner pully on mid summer. The bearings were wiped out in the tensioner so I figured that was the problem. After the R&R stilll the same issues. The compressor make noise with the air on and off. Right now I'm running the truck with no belt to the compressor, nice and quiet!!!

DAFF

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like you'll need to replace the compressor after all then.
    They're a little cramped down in there but there not too bad to change out..

One recommendation though..spend the extra money and buy a new compressor rather than a reman..it's money well spent in the long run.