1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L-What should I be getting for fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brian Young, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 6.0L runs great and is bone stock. It plows as well as one of our salt trucks with a 2 yard v box. Just from my rough figures yesterday, after plowing very wet heavy snow all day then again over night it ran/plowed for about 15 hours straight and for 4 of those hours it had 2 tons of salt on it. I put 225ish miles on it and went through a little more than half a topped off tank (roughly 20 gallons). I believe it has a 38 gallon fuel tank and it was topped off right before we started plowing. So by my rough calculations thats 11.25mpg is that about right? I know I need to be detailed about how much fuel and exact miles I put on and will next time.
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My cummins gets mileage based upon a lot of different things..

Summer with my "summer tires" 19-21 MPG

Winter with my "mudder tires" 15-18MPG

Winter plowing with my "mudders" 10-12

Lots of factors...

air pressure in tires, ballast weight, lead foot, Etc.

large piles with heavy wet snow, vs light fluffy stuff that blows off the front of the plow..

11-12 MPG on an average isn't bad for plowing .....as I've read a lot of Ford diesels are in the 9mpg range when loaded.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

My 07 F350 DRW with DuraTracs, wideout and about 1,000 pounds in the bed runs about 11-13 plowing. I was surprised it does so well. As an aside, mine is a 38 gallon tank, and I "think" they all are.
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Most are happy to burn any fuel in a 6.0
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The top half of the tank is generally much bigger then the bottom half. Trying to figure out milage without having exact numbers is kinda pointless to me.
  6. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Exactly....and trying to estimate fuel burned by looking at the fuel gauge is pointless as well.
  7. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I have never seen double digits, no matter what. Plowing 5.5-7 mpg. Empty maybe 7-8.5 mpg. '07 F-450
  8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

when plowing i do not do mpg, i do gallons per hour. and i average 1 gallon per hour in the diesels, and around 2.5 gallons per hour in the gas trucks. that is the main reason for having diesels in the plow trucks, much less fuel use and a lot more power.
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'm just going to cap this before someone else derails the thread into a gas v diesel debate.

1. You'll run out of traction before you run out of power.

2. Diesel doesn't pay itself off unless you're pulling everyday big loads.

3. Diesel is very expensive to maintain compared to gas.

I'm sure someone else will say it. But here goes the derailment. Thumbs Up:rolleyes:
  10. tjctransport

diesels are not for everyone.
    and gas engines are not for everyone.
    it is all i a matter of what you need.
    for some gas is where it is at.
    for others diesel is where it is at.
    there is no one is better than the other.

i have both. sometimes i use the gas powered trucks, other times i use the diesels.
  11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I've got both. Being a diesel tech I prefer diesel. Oil changes cost $100 more on my diesels. If your keeping a truck 300k get diesel, if you want it get it. New diesels don't pencil out....sorry just a fact unless your pulling over 10k daily. There is a reason ups has gas trucks now.
  12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

And why do you think a diesel truck handles a bigger plow? I've got the same blades on a gas and diesel truck, neither has any issues
  13. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

You have to remember it's a work truck. Are you using more fuel than usual ? I generally compare how much fuel I burn per storm , comparing similar storms to fuel used, and if I were to notice a change then I would worry.
  14. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, I've gotta disagree with you for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I've got a diesel and love it, but when doing the math, they just don't pay for themselves as much as they used to. Right now I'm paying over a dollar more for diesel fuel. And you can actually put a BIGGER plow on a comparable gas vehicle and still stay within plow manufacturer's specs. And you'll see attached what I just paid for a trans flush and fuel filter(s) changed. Granted, these are dealership prices, but I paid about 90.00 for a trans flush on my hemi at the same dealership, so it's an apples to apples comparison. I just paid 1,400.00 to the dealership yesterday for routine "maintenance".

Scan 1 (2).jpg

Scan 2 (2).jpg
  15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, but they change your license plate frames for free if needed.
  16. tjctransport

oil fuel filter is around $36
    trans service is around $75.
    i do my own work. it is crazy to pay the dealer 3 times what it would cost to do it myself.
  17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Risk what filters your using, mine are $56 for oil and fuel
  18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Meant idk not risk. Damn smartphones.
  19. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I'm a firm believer in not buying a phone smarter than me. My flip phone does everything I want or need it to do. ussmileyflag
  20. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

oops tymusic lol