1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6.0L water pump & shocks??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EGLC, Aug 13, 2010.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

any brand water pump you guys suggest? mine is shot. also while I'm at it I'm thinking about spending the $55 and getting a 160F thermostat.

also can I get the 5100 series bilstien shocks even tho the truck is not lifted 4"+??

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had good luck with napa brand. I dont think anything beats oe though. I would not do the 160f stat. On a race car/ street strip yes. plow truck no. If u do it change ur oil often!

3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

why not the 160F? i tow a 20' enclosed all summer (landscaping) and I hate seeing the truck running at close to 200F

i run synthetic and change every 3000....

4. brad96z28

I love seeing mine run at 200. It keeps my oil nice and clean. Have u ever taken a motor apart that has been run with a 160 stat or a bad stat? They dont look good. Lots of sludge. It wont help ur fuel miledge either. Im sure B&B will chime in with his thoughts but those are mine. Changing ur oil at those intervals U might be fine. But Not something I would do.

5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

hmmm.....ok so i'll skip the 160F

now what about the shocks? can i run the 5100s or no??

6. brad96z28

Is the truck leveled or have cognito arms? Anything? Ck summit racing on the shocks look them up by application.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 160* T-stat isn't a great idea as Brad stated so avoid that idea. If you wish to lower the temp and under hood heat a little go for a 180* instead. That allows the engine to build enough heat to keep it clean but still help reduce overall running temps. And a 180* won't kill MPG's nearly as much either. With a 160* the system will continuously run in the warm up parameters thus injecting more fuel than is needed for a fully warmed engine.

For WP brands use the store of your liking, they're all basically the same in quality (next to OEM) just be sure to buy new NOT reman.

For shocks, if you have at least 4 turns in the T-bars you can run the 5100's. Otherwise they're too long so you'll need to run the yellow ones if you want to stay with Bilsteins.

8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

alright thanks guys! I bought a bosch pump and I know the t-bars were turned up, I'll turn them another turn just to be safe.

now one other question, is the HD t-bars a good upgrade??

9. brad96z28

I would say see what the code is on the ones u have.

10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

will do....i really know ZERO on torsion bars...if I posted up the code could you tell me if they're worth upgrading? its for the truck in my signature

They are "RGK" torsion bars.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  11. brad96z28

12. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I know there is A LOT of thread left on the bolt...would it be easier for my to measure how much of the bolt is left sticking out before totally maxed?? (its gotta be like 2"+)

13. brad96z28

How does the truck sit with the plow on? If u have that many threads left I would think u would be all set. Level the truck without the plow on and with plow on should squat a couple inches depending on plow weight and ballast. My truck does not squat much at all but also depends on what plow I have hanging off.

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

MYYY BAD there's 7 threads showing. it doesnt squat too bad with the plow on...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  15. brad96z28

If u can level it without the plow on and it does not squat much. I would invest in timbrens if anything and not worry about the bars. Dont forget about ballast. It make a a difference.

16. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

yea we put in close to a pallet of salt in the bed so it helps a lot....i'll look into the timbrens...does it kill your ride though??